Connected to peers but no movement

korat2000

I am using utorrent 1.6 and Belkin router on an XP pro sp2/3mb cable connection system. Ports are forwarded correctly to the router and XP firewall is disabled. Up until a short while ago i was getting very fast download speeds ( up to and even over 200 kb/s ).

Then suddenly everything dropped to crawling speed. For example, one torrent running at present with a swarm speed of 200 kb/s and which I am connected to 40 seeders/12 peers is getting me a download speed of between 2-3 kb/s. This happens with almost every torrent too. Connected to a good ratio of seeders/peers but getting next to nothing.

First I assumed the problem may be with my isp but while testing download speeds with them I am getting 360-370 kb/s so that eliminates router/modem problems. My isp does not mess with BT either so no problem with them choking.

Then I went to the extreme of re-installing XP on a virgin new HDD - thinking that maybe something in the other OS was to blame. That didn't help too and the same results and behavior returned.

I have no NAT problems as everything is green and the ports are open and accepting.

I tried with azureus too but got the same results.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

I did try speed test which is okay and the torrents I get are usually video and software.

As for persistence it is permanent for the past couple of months although before that it was very fast.

My ISP does not mess around with BT although it could be a case of my cable company doing just that. If they do then they won't admit it but on my OS when everything is configured ok and ports are forwarded as they should be, unless there is something in XP which is causing the slowdown, I can't really think of anything else that can be the cause.

have you reached the connection limit. XP is set on 10 to minimize infections from the spread of viruses. but if you patch it you open more connections, it seems to me that it shouldnt matter because you had fast speeds.

you said you have 1.6 try using 1.7, if there is an improvement. also what are your connection settings? speed and such

Roy1491,

You may be confusing connection max, which Win XP SP2 doesn't seem to have...for HALF Open connection limit. Win XP SP2's HALF Open connection limit is 10.

korat2000,

Small ISPs lease lines from larger ISPs and even if the smaller ISPs may not throttle/block anything...if the larger ISPs do, you're still screwed. :(

I have a 3 mb cable connection and no problems downloading one on one - get to speeds of around 370 kb/s. Further my isp is one of the biggest here and they dont mess around with BT but the isp goes through a separate cable company and the cause of the problem may be them - although they would never admit it if is them who are throttling/blocking.

I am going to try to tweak the half open connections to 50....using utorrent 1.7 wont really help as I have tried 3 different clients already - all with the same result.

I suggest going the OTHER way, reducing µTorrent's half open limit to 4.

On these big swarms, is your upload speed suffering equally bad as your download speed?

(This is often the CLEAREST sign of ISP tampering IMO, as upload speed tends to stay maxed out if you're connected to more than 5 'hungry' peers.)

What settings are you currently (trying to) using in µTorrent, according to Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

My upload speed is limited to 16kbs to avoid choking the downloads.....my other settings are more or less standard : max upload slots per torrent 4, max connections per torrent 75, max connections global 150 - I don't run more than 2 downloads at a time and I usually limit the uploads per torrent to 4 kbs.

There something odd that I did notice though - there are certain hours when everything does seem normal and download speeds are okay - but after a few hours the downloads drop again to next to nothing. I am not sure what this indicates and what could be the cause of that. As I am typing this downloads are running at 170 kb/s but shortly they will revert to "snail" speed.

I did see this behavior once in the far east (Thailand ) when downloads all but stopped

from 0800am-0600pm every day - but from 0600 pm to 0800am and at the weekends everything was normal. Could be a sign of deliberate isp interference although kind of hard to prove.

Anyway its very clear that something is causing the problem and that it is not my system, program configs, router or ports which are to blame. No Nat problems - it is green all the time - even when the downloads crawl - so I am totally reachable.

Indeed, this is most likely a case of your ISP being stupid. At least two other µTorrent community regulars (Inf and chaosblade) are using the same ISP as you (012), and Inf has been complaining for the past few days about speed problems. Heck, he may well have been complaining for weeks, but I don't recall, as it's been such a long time already.

[16:59:28] <+Inf> damn, seems like bittorent and other p2p where just the first kind of traffic on my ISP to show something is wrong ;(

[16:59:37] <+Inf> even http now is slow as hell !!!

[17:38:40] * Inf is now known as Inf_Away

[21:28:23] * Quits: +Inf_Away (inf@P2PNET-9BE958E6.cable.012.net.il) (Input/output error)

This was just today (or erm, yesterday, depending on timezone), and Inf isn't just a n00b who doesn't know a thing about what he speaks/writes of. So yeah, go, crappy ISP!

Looks like it's time to take of the gloves with 012.net. No point in paying for 3mb + connections when they are limiting BT at certain hours....and those hours are the late afternoon and peak evening hours - up to and maybe beyond midnight. The "saved" bandwidth then is probably allocated to other users. Time to look for a new ISP.!

Archived