Tracker Respone with Private Flag

Klaus_1250

Klaus:

The private flag should NEVER be located in the tracker announce since it's a very unreliable/quick&dirty/bad feature.

Instead, the private flag should ALWAYS be located in the .torrent file for private trackers.

So I guess that future releases of uTorrent will not support the announce based private flag feature. uTorrent will encourage private trackers to put the private flag in the .torrent file instead since that's the correct and reliable way to make the .torrent private.

I see that support has been removed from µTorrent 1.2.1. Isn't that going to p#ss off a lot of private tracker site admins?

I know it is not the correct way to make torrents private, but what about private trackers that have a huge backlog of torrents? They would need to rebuild all the .torrent files and users whould need to redownload the .torrent.

Last, doesn't this create a difference in how BitComet and µTorrent treat (private) torrents and trackers?

There's php scripts for a tracker to remake all their .torrents, if they cared enough to. It'd take a bit of work, but it'd be reliable, and it'd get them exactly what they wanted.

The tracker where I'm a moderator has added the private=1 key to all .torrent files posted since May 13 (it's members only and you need your personalized version to seed with, so you have to download the .torrent file back anyway when you start a seed), but the administrator didn't want to disrupt older torrents with the change to the info_hash (the key would be meaningless if it were outside the info dict and didn't change the info_hash, right?). From what I'm learning now, it may be worth altering those older torrents, of which quite a few are still running. But that's up to him.

The private flag is useless outside of the info dict. The point of putting it in the infodict is that it's difficult to remove without changing the infohash.

Well, changing them would be nice, but I saw a few trackers that simply banned DHT-enabled clients from old torrents... But I don't recommend this solution, it's a better idea to remake the torrents.

I don't know if this is possible, but you could try make the tracker give a different announce response error ("Please re-download this torrent" or something) for infohashes matching the old torrents that you changed. That, or just make it display that for any infohash that doesn't exist on the tracker...

It's impossible to remove it from inside the info dict without changing the info_hash!

That last idea is a thought ... caching the info_hashes of existing DHT-vulnerable torrents on the tracker to say to download the new version instead of just that there's no such torrent there.

Thank you again, Firon, for all your help this evening.

There's php scripts for a tracker to remake all their .torrents' date=' if they cared enough to. It'd take a bit of work, but it'd be reliable, and it'd get them exactly what they wanted.[/quote']

The tracker where I'm a moderator has added the private=1 key to all .torrent files posted since May 13 (it's members only and you need your personalized version to seed with, so you have to download the .torrent file back anyway when you start a seed), but the administrator didn't want to disrupt older torrents with the change to the info_hash (the key would be meaningless if it were outside the info dict and didn't change the info_hash, right?). From what I'm learning now, it may be worth altering those older torrents, of which quite a few are still running. But that's up to him.

We need more trackers like this

Archived