uTorrent banned on several trackers!

dumdum

Slightly confused now:

"[...] and confirmed that it does report it to the tracker?"

That was what i am saying (more or less quoting): it does report everything to the tracker.

Or have you meant: it does not report discarded/bad data?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Azureus code currently under CVS, as of a few days ago, will now send the tracker the number of corrupted bytes - it's not actually in a current Azureus release. But the "downloaded" total sent to trackers has not included failed data since 2.3.0.6.

Is there any way to see that implemented in Azureus 2.x and not just Vuze? Hopefully, clients will follow suit as well. Whether utorrent will is perhaps a question for Bram himself, I see no harm in it and it should end all debate on how stats should be counted.

Are you also including plain old discarded data in the corrupted key (not hashfails, but data you didn't want)?

I assume that question was intended for me. It's just hash fail data. Discarded data doesn't get included in either the downloaded or corrupt values sent to the tracker.

"Now that's fast!"

Too fast probably.

Manual announce should probably be progressive.

If it's been at least 2 minutes since the last automatic announce, a manual announce can be immediate.

However any additional manual announces should delay re-contacting the tracker for at least 5 minutes...and may increase in time for the 3rd and 4th manual retries.

Having problems with one of my favorite trackers myself, and having read all this I can only say this is a very sad thing. µ(Micro)Torrent (in opposition to or favoring Micro$oft?) is unrefusably the most popular bittorrent client in the universe, but it's not free.

From the FAQ:

"Is µTorrent open source?

No. It is not likely to become open source ever.

Is there a Linux or Mac version?

The OSX port is in progress. A Linux port is currently not planned for the future."

If the developer of this fine piece of software would have overcome his ego and released the program under the GPL-licence, he would have truly made a major contribution to the community and saved himself the above accusations. Moreover we would surely have an adequate port to the *nix-world for all those enthusiasts trying to free themselves from Micro$oft.

For my own part I have downgraded to 1.6 to start with. Now I will recheck the free software scene and even if I don't find anything that compares to the features of µTorrent I am sure to switch to the next best.

Ludde, donations are not enough for you, you're after the real money, good luck!

PS: I bet you paid your moderators/administrators.

µTorrent is free... perhaps you mean, "Open Source", which is something entirely different.

As for ego, it is his software. If he wants to sell it, it is nobody's business but his. He didn't owe anything to you. He wasn't even on anyone's side. Screw the accusations, the persons making them, haven't any right to sling them in the first place.

As for donations... donations didn't even cover the cost of the expenses for the website. Forget about being able to live off of them.

(and the moderators and administrators are all volunteers)

Grow up.

-- Smoovious

PS: I bet you paid your moderators/administrators.

I'd like to know where my check went if this were so. Whatever the case, though, it's obvious none of us moderators will be getting any money for our contributions here, since (1) we were never paid by ludde or BT Inc [not that I expect you to readily believe this, but whatever], and (2) the bet is entirely hollow.

I guess just because we provide support for a non-"Free" application, our contributions automatically serve some kind of financial purpose for us? No such thing as free outside of GPL-world? ludde must've been out of his egotistical mind when he created ScummVM and OpenTTD and licensed them under the GPL :rolleyes:

GPL or not, it's entirely irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Update on the az implementation of corrupt key.

It sends the number of bytes discarded due to corruption, whether the download occured in this session or not.

Example: download 5MB of a bad 8MB piece, stop the torrent, the corrupt flag is 0. Restart and download the other 3MB then stop, the corrupt flag contains 8MB.

Tracker admins coding for it should be aware that corrupt can be higher than downloaded for this reason.

Always one asshat.

A lot of tracker admins lack a reasonable amount of coding skill. Doesn't mean they are idiots. If you believe that all tracker admins know how to code, perhaps you should revisit how much damage a certain request mod for tbsource did when everybody dropped it in without any checking of the code.

http://forum.superfundo.org/index.php?topic=2240.0

Hey all, the last few weeks have seen some interesting developements in the torrent world. The BitTorrent company, who now cooperates with various anti-piracy groups, teamed up with the uTorrent client. Also, a website, everlasting.nu was recently shut down by a Dutch court. This is big news since this website uses the same ISP as other sites like Demonoid and TorrentSpy. For now, Demonoid is okay. But TorrentSpy has also recently began cooperating with anti-piracy groups. This means:

Don't use the following clients anymore:

- BitTorrent

- uTorrent

Don't use the following websites anymore:

- TorrentSpy

- BitTorrent.com

The global mods will update this post as we continue to confirm more clients and websites that are getting crappy or unsafe to use. Thanks for all your support. Please realize that SuperFundo only encourages DVDRips sharing because we believe it can be justified legally as "sharing a DVD" with online neighbors. This website is maintained by many different users around the globe, and we are very thankful for all the work done behind the scenes (no pun intended).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:41:05 AM by Yarman » Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy; piracy itself can be the right course." Disney

this is to (system) why dont u make your own program to leave utorrent alone. this way u would have no more cheaters. dose utorrent tell u how to run your web site. if they do. i understand very well that then u would do the same thing. but if not. just leave them alone and mind your business.

Ehm, I don't really see anything wrong with what system's saying...

Re: 3fingeredwilly's post...

http://forum.superfundo.org/index.php?topic=2240.msg15015#msg15015

Where's the proof that he's not screwing his members over???? He doesn't like rumors spread against his site, and yet, he'd happily spread rumors about other sites and/or BitTorrent client(s). Oh the hypocrisy; how it never ceases to amaze!

The "discussions" going on in that SuperFundo thread is borderline between hilarious and headsplitting. Dunno.

That's what happens to you at the so-called "best source for movie torrents" if you defend uTorrent and criticize their promotion of BitComet.

I did see a comment on there which said Azureus 3 wasn't safe to use either - and I was going to get involved, but.... I just don't think I have enough patience to deal with people as... err... fundamentally uninformed as these. Some battles aren't worth fighting (and some people apparently aren't worth saving).

...And you cannot save those who do not want to be saved.

Willful ignorance is far more common than pure stupidity in my circles.

My internet connection can sustain uploading 32 full MTU-sized packets per second.

Does that make it "fast" or "slow"?

Using Peer Guardian 2 or ipfilter.dat or NOT running µTorrent/BitComet/Azureus has almost NO effect on whether or not a copyright monitoring agency gets your ip on a torrent. The TRACKER hands them your ip without thought as to whether or not you are blocking the copyright monitoring agency's ip ranges. It's all snake oil. The only question is if you will get a Cease-and-Desist letter even if you NEVER connect to a copyright monitoring agency's ips. Considering people have received such letters even when they were clearly innocent, I think yes...your ip won't have to be checked to see if you certainly are running whatever torrents they're monitoring.

BitTorrent.INC has OFFICIALLY stated that µTorrent will NOT contain spyware or phone-home features that will violate privacy. The legal repercussion to them if this is NOT true can be severe indeed, so unless they are forced to violate people's privacy I seriously doubt they will. Plus, µTorrent v1.7.2 is 218,624 bytes in size. (BitComet v0.91 is 4,862,464 Bytes in size.) Even though µTorrent is compressed, where is there ROOM for complex monitoring and phone-home features? The BitTorrent team working on µTorrent are probably STILL trying to play catch-up with its sourcecode. You can spend man-years worth of coding and debugging trying to figure out what someone else's program does...and trying to tweak it. The more esoteric the program is, or the more compressed it is, the longer it may take.

Archived