Export torrent file list as text

ajones81

CTRL+C in the Files tab yields this for me at present:

Name<tab>Size<tab>Done<tab>%<tab>First Piece<tab># Pieces<tab>Pieces<tab>Priority<tab>

No idea why that extra <tab> is tacked on at the end of every line though.

Also, instead of copying in this format, why not ensure it copies using a comma-delimited format (.CSV) that will be much more useful?

Hmm... That makes sense.

However, a couple of requests:

1) The column named 'Pieces' is just a graphical bar which obviously can't be copied. So I end up with an empty cell in every row. Can all columns with graphical data be excluded from being copied?

2) Can the extra tab at the end be excluded too? It causes an unnecessary empty cell too.

• 3 years later...

Wanted to copy the file list from within uTorrent, couldn't, searched, and found my own thread!

What do you know, ~3.5 years down the line, far from progressing, with 2.0.4 we seem to have regressed. Not only is the 'Pieces' graphical column still included in the copied column list for some reason (even though it's bound to always be empty), and not only is that trailing tab still present (these 2 are still tolerable), but now the 'Name' and 'Path' columns are completely empty to boot.

So I don't really see any easy way to copy the entire path/file list from within uTorrent. Can someone enlighten me if there's another way to do so? If not, this might need to be shifted to the Bugs section of the forum.

I didn't know i could do that, even if it's not perfect, thanks.

If you don't want a column why not right click on that column and deselect it?

It only takes a second to remove the pieces column (or any other you don't want), copy the stuff, then put it back again.

If you don't have any commas in the file name a quick find replace in the text editor can change all tabs to commas and you get the CSV.

But if you do you could perform a find replace on them first.

ajones, i just tested what you said about blank columns, i find it only does that sometimes. Usually on the third copy and past it will do it properly, as long as you don't do the Ctrl+A first but select with dragging the mouse instead.

It only started doing this when i added the name column but wouldn't revert back to behaving after i took it away again.

It only takes a second to remove the pieces column (or any other you don't want), copy the stuff, then put it back again.

I know, but what's the big point of even copying the column when it's bound to be empty since it doesn't contain any text? :/

ajones, i just tested what you said about blank columns, i find it only does that sometimes. Usually on the third copy and past it will do it properly, as long as you don't do the Ctrl+A first but select with dragging the mouse instead.

It only started doing this when i added the name column but wouldn't revert back to behaving after i took it away again.

No luck. Just tried again with Ctrl+A, Shift-clicking with the mouse, Ctrl-clicking with the mouse, drag-selecting with the mouse etc. No matter how I select the files, Ctrl+C doesn't copy the Name or Path.

It only takes a second to remove the pieces column (or any other you don't want)' date=' copy the stuff, then put it back again.

[/quote']

I know, but what's the big point of even copying the column when it's bound to be empty since it doesn't contain any text? :/

I think you misunderstood, i meant right click in uTorrent to hide the columns there before copying. If you right click on the column titles you can select which columns to view. This way the column isn't there to be copied. I hope i've explained it better this time.

No luck. Just tried again with Ctrl+A, Shift-clicking with the mouse, Ctrl-clicking with the mouse, drag-selecting with the mouse etc. No matter how I select the files, Ctrl+C doesn't copy the Name or Path.

If i don't touch it with the ctrl+A and select by purely highlighting with the mouse (holding left button down and dragging, not with the shift) it worked every time for me and i tried it several times. So many ways to select and so few work. :rolleyes:

I think you misunderstood, i meant right click in uTorrent to hide the columns there before copying. If you right click on the column titles you can select which columns to view. This way the column isn't there to be copied. I hope i've explained it better this time.

No, I understood you perfectly, thanks. :) All I'm saying is that why should the app include a non-copyable column's header while copying? Anyway, that's not the major problem, especially when I can't get the names at all!

If i don't touch it with the ctrl+A and select by purely highlighting with the mouse (holding left button down and dragging, not with the shift) it worked every time for me and i tried it several times. So many ways to select and so few work. :rolleyes:

Like I said, doesn't work for me, neither while selecting files with the mouse, nor with the keyboard, nor with a combination of the two.

Don't know what to tell you. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C works perfectly fine here.

Wth? I'm sure it's not only me, Ultima. After all, even Becki can't seem to get Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C working properly. As for me, I don't see the Name and Path columns populated at all after copying. Can someone else using uTorrent on Win7 Ultimate x64 check and confirm? Maybe it's a problem due to running the 32-bit app on 64-bit Windows using WoW64.

See, I'm running Win7x64 here.

Anyway, after trying a few more times, it seems I was finally able to reproduce the problem. Doesn't seem to be reproducible on every single attempt, but trying a few times does seem to get it to happen. As far as I know, this isn't a new problem, and is not OS-related.

Edit: Yeah, just tested it on an XP machine with the same results.

Anyway, after trying a few more times, it seems I was finally able to reproduce the problem. Doesn't seem to be reproducible on every single attempt, but trying a few times does seem to get it to happen. As far as I know, this isn't a new problem, and is not OS-related.

Edit: Yeah, just tested it on an XP machine with the same results.

It's not OS-related then, only app-related. So... Bug report's in order, yeah?

It would be an elephant in the room if we were deliberately ignoring it. Only, we weren't, because it doesn't really matter that Vuze has the kitchen sink and then some.

Tab-separated listview export, if the bug were fixed properly, could just as easily be imported into a spreadsheet (seriously, probably even more easily than XML). That there is currently a bug with the export functionality is the only real problem that would qualify for "elephant in the room" status -- if it hadn't already been acknowledged.

@mindstrm: Thanks for the tip, but that's something I knew already. Frankly, despite some long-standing irritants/bugs, I use uTorrent for a reason. I do not want to install bloated Java and then Vuze on my system, select Classic mode (not relevant to get the job done, but I hate the stupid Vuze stuff that's been tacked on), and then load the torrent and export to XML, all this just to get the file list.

So it's good to know the issue with uTorrent has been acknowledged and isn't being ignored, and I hope it is fixed sometime soon...

BTW Ultima, I thought I might get the job done easily using your BEncode Editor, but no such luck, since it shows each file as a separate node. Is there some way you can modify or add a feature so that one can copy all the filename fields in one go?

Well, no need to go insulting Java now...only one of the most popular and widely used coding languages ever but you know that's just a small detail.

To the other point not using all the tools available to you to solve a problem you are having seems rather silly...but I guess that's my opinion and we know opinions are a lot like...well you know how the expression goes ;)

Best of luck to you, my problem was already solved with "bloated software" hope you get yours solved soon!

Ciao

Well, no need to go insulting Java now...only one of the most popular and widely used coding languages ever but you know that's just a small detail.

It might be all that and more, but in my opinion it is bloated and a memory hog as well.

To the other point not using all the tools available to you to solve a problem you are having seems rather silly...but I guess that's my opinion and we know opinions are a lot like...well you know how the expression goes ;)

What seems far sillier to me is to install a few 100 MBs worth of stuff just to get this small thing done and for no other purpose whatsoever (since I don't plan to switch to Vuze anyway). :rolleyes:

Best of luck to you, my problem was already solved with "bloated software" hope you get yours solved soon!

Thanks a lot for your help (and I'm not being in the least sarcastic). I appreciate your input, but I have many more ways to get this done than installing Java + Vuze. I was finding myself of late requiring the torrent file lists a lot, so I used the WebUI API as Ultima had mentioned above. But since I wanted a standalone program, I also knocked together a C++ program using a torrent library. But I wanted something even smaller with no dependencies, so I just coded a few lines using AutoHotKey and RegEx to extract the filenames, sizes etc. So, a nice small portable program a few 100 KBs in size vs a few 100 MBs (at least) - is it even a contest? (Not to mention the fact that my code could quite possibly be tighter and more optimized, and I didn't even bother UPXing the EXE.)

See, there are many, many ways to get this done without using bloated software, and I'm not a complete n00b. It's just that reinventing the wheel is stupid and I'd have saved some time if the uTorrent function had worked properly. Also, goes without saying that my personal workarounds aren't an excuse to not get the app fixed for everyone, which is why I posted here in the first place. Anyway, given the assurances above, I'm sure it will be attended to soon so I look forward to that eagerly.

Cheers!

Archived