torrents crash my router :(

Kan5478

hey people...

i just switched to mutorrent... the first days things were going great, great speeds... no crashes... but now don't know why...

when i start downloading torrents... after a while router reboots... and i lose connection to internet...

any idea what might be causing it? it's a dlink 624+

thanks a lot for the help...

yeah, this router is definitely crappy! stay away from it... i just got it from my ISP... cheap deal...

so reduce the 200/50 connections to how many? what is your recommendation? will it decrease download speeds as well? so weird, when i first used mutorrent things were fine... then suddenly one day... it started crashing...

thank you

also, i am not sure if it has something to do with it... are the chances of crashing/rebooting bigger if i have emule AND torrents open than if i only had one of them open?

Yes, using both would cause more problems on weak routers, since you'd have a lot more connections open. Try running only one torrent at a time, and see if setting it to 45/100 connections/torrent helps with ONLY that torrent running (and not emule). If it doesn't help, try reducing the connections even more.

The Linksys WRT54G/GS with the HyperWRT firmware replacement is excellent for that, though it's a wired/wireless combo. you can turn completely turn off the wireless part though. :)

one question.

can this Linksys router with the hyperwrt firmware act as a modem aswell?

I have been having troubles with my zyxel 660h-t3 modem/router and have been wondering if I should replace it with something more sturdy.

The Linksys WRT54G/GS with the HyperWRT firmware replacement is excellent for that, though it's a wired/wireless combo. you can turn completely turn off the wireless part though. :)

There's numerous version of the router and firmware. Can you state specifically which one to get? I suppose with this combo you can BT 24/7 and surf at the same time with no problem? no hangups? no resets? no timeouts?

PS. Any possibilty of a non-wireless model? Because no point paying extra for something which i don't use.

The Linksys WRT54G/GS with the HyperWRT firmware replacement is excellent for that' date=' though it's a wired/wireless combo. you can turn completely turn off the wireless part though. :)[/quote']

There's numerous version of the router and firmware. Can you state specifically which one to get? I suppose with this combo you can BT 24/7 and surf at the same time with no problem? no hangups? no resets? no timeouts?

PS. Any possibilty of a non-wireless model? Because no point paying extra for something which i don't use.

I have 3 Linksys WRT54G's all running HyperWRT 2.1b1 and can attest to the fact that with the stock firmware from Linksys, they are crap for BT. With HyperWRT (along with the startup script discussed here and the script itself is here), they are unstoppable!

As for what version of the hardware, it doesn't matter really - HyperWRT will work on everything from v1 to v3 (I have a 1.0, a 1.1 and a 2.2), but I don't think HyperWRT will work on non-wireless versions.

Linksys has no good wired only routers, but the WRT54G/GS are actually quite cheap in price.

HyperWRT2.1b1 tofu10 is for WRT54G, HyperWRT2.1b1 Thibor is for WRT54GS. GS is the one with Speedbooster (for wireless).

However, you have to avoid the latest hardware revisions of each one. The G V5 uses a different OS (VxWorks), and the GS V4 has half the RAM. You can tell by their serial numbers. The earliest WRT54G (V1 V1.1) are crappy too, but the odds of finding one of those is pretty rare. ;)

Anyway, you need to avoid serial number CDFBxxx for the WRT54G, and CGN6xxx for the GS.

HyperWRT2.1b1 tofu 10

HyperWRT2.1b1 Thibor

The earliest WRT54G (V1 V1.1) are crappy too, but the odds of finding one of those is pretty rare. ;)

I can sell you one ;)

Actually, my 1.1 works very well (same as my 2.2) and I have not had any problems with it. My 1.0 on the other hand... it's not bad, but I have had to lower its connection tracking from 4096 to 2048, otherwise I run into similar problems as with the default Linksys firmware in that it dies after a couple days of BT.

Ahh ok sorry for the noobness. First time using linksys and a wireless router :P

For an update so far, the router didn't have any problem with BT. If this keep going i might not even need to put in the startup script or should i?

Anyway to check whether the wireless feature is working without having any wireless client?

Archived