Seeding problems

Razor512

I want to upload a torrent but due to my limited upload speed, things really slow down when like 20 people start downloading

so what i want to do is have it only seed to the ip addresses that I allow and no one else.

I need this so that way instead of everyone waiting hours for the torrent to start moving, I will upload at full speed to a user who I know will seed that way we will get more seeders faster.

is there a way to do this in utorrent?

i tried the add peer thing and when i enter in the users ip, nothing happens

edit: please anyone. it is really annoying when uploading a torrent. it is hard to get make seeders when your upload is split 20-30 different ways and there some users who don't seed at all after downloading but there a re a few regulars who coma and are known to seed so they will usually give me their ip address and i will try to use net limiter to give them more speed

but it is hard because no matter how many other peers you try to block, 10 more just take their place and it is hard to get a single seeder when everyone is going at 1 KB/s it would be better to have 1 or 2 of the people who are known to seed, to get 70-80 KB/s instead of everyone all trying to download att the same time and only get 1-2 KB/s especially when i cant leave my pc on for weeks to seed

You should not set your upload slots very high, especially while seeding.

A high half open connection rate in µTorrent hurts too.

Even allowing lots of connections per torrent doesn't help.

The peers need to mostly be downloading from each other, not you...so not all NEED to connect to you.

General rule of thumb while DOWNLOADING is each upload slot needs to get about 3-5 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed. While SEEDING/uploading, it can be a bit higher...but going way over 10 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed to a single peer probably won't help as they may not be uploading that fast in total!

I try to but the main problem is users not seeding after downloading, but there are a few people who are known to be very good seeders with high upload speeds so what I want to do is make it so that I seed to them (since i know their ip)

if i just seed normally, there will be 1 or 2 users who finish the download but once they finish, they stop seeding

and getting one of those users connected is like a 1 in 100 chance thats why I wanted to make it so that that those users will get like a higher priorty for seeding because I know that when they finish, they will seed for at least a few days (they also have much faster upload speeds than I do. one of them has a 22Mbit download and a 8Mbit upload

You can't control that 1 in a 100 chance. Whether a fast uploader shows up is totally up to them.

If people aren't seeding after downloading, then there's really not much you can do about that. So long as some/most continue seeding for awhile, then your limited upload speed will only be required IF all the other seeders (and virtual copies) leave the torrent swarm.

In the past, it was considered normal for small torrents to become unseeded in a couple days and large torrents in 2 weeks. If you beat those "odds", then you've accomplished something. ...But only because you have help. Using a bad upload strategy (such as trying to upload at 1 KiloBYTE/sec each to 100+ people at once) will probably make a torrent die even sooner after the next seed besides yourself appears.

I may leave my pc on for a day or 2 straight, but I also turn it off for probably 1 day every other week and 8+ hours every week. And it gets rebooted roughly every day or 2. Torrents shouldn't need constant baby-sitting once you've seeded 300+% the torrent's size, doing so probably only increases the download speed...and thus hit-and-runners (those who quit running the torrent nearly the moment it finishes downloading) leave sooner.

There will probably be no automatic peer favoritism added to µTorrent beyond favoring 'local' peers which are presumed to be very close to you and thus not limited to you normal internet connection max speed.

Archived