New Feature: Second File Location (Hard Drive Filling Up)

Amicron

Here's a new feature request... you're downloading a whole ton of crap and you go away for a few days. Boom! Your hard drive fills up. You have multiple drives in your PC (or are on a network with other drives you could offload the crap to) but you have to do it by hand.

How about a feature in utorrent that realizes that your drive is almost full (say, down to 100 MB or less) and then automatically moves unfinished torrents to a backup directory. I realize it can move COMPLETED torrents, but if you've got 30 or 40 files still downloading and some of them are huge, your drive might choke.

Just my two cents.

ok so if I download a file to one hard drive then I go to vacation and leaving all the download and seeds working. then the hard drive fills up what do you do? if you preallocate it, then it will first save it to first hard drive, then move to second one, but if the first one is full how will it move the (fully not downloaded) file for second harddrive?

It's like this... you queue up 10 different files, and lets say each is about 5 GB in size, consisting of 100 smaller 50 MB files. uTorrent starts downloading them to your C: drive, but you've only got 20 GB of free space... eventually this starts to fill up. Now, you have a networked drive (let's call it F:) available. You don't want to use it as a primary download location because (a) it would be slower, (B) you don't want to congest your network, and © it's not always available... but if uTorrent could say, "hey, the C: drive is getting full, I better move some of these partially completed torrents - the completed files from them - to this other drive," that would be cool.

• 1 month later...
Yes, but why waste all that space up front when you don't have to?

What would you use it for, then? And how come you have less need for that space as the downloads advance? When you start a download, effective non-temporary use for the space that will be filled up by the download is not possible anyway. Consider it taken. Then just distribute the torrents over different locations.

Nevertheless, the feature would not take long to implement. Still, it doesn't seem even a bit essential.

Archived