1.7.x slows down browsing on Windows XP

RonV

I have been running 1.6.1 for a long time and never had issues with slowdowns in browsing. I have setup QOS on my router to keep the uTorrent traffic at the bottom of the upstream queue and also set the uTorrent output speed about 2% lower than the QOS upstream rate just to be safe. I also used a fixed output port in uTorrent to map it to the output queue in the QOS in the router.

I updated to 1.7 when the announcement poped up and it seemed to be working fine. But then my browsing began to slow down to the point where I had to kill uTorrent to get back any performance. This performance hit only happens on the computer running uTorrent 1.7.x.

All the other computers on the network have no browsing issues. So I think that somehow uTorrent 1.7.x is effecting the IP stack on this computer. Is this possible?

When I go back to 1.6.1 everything works fine.....

Maybe delete and recreate the utorrent rule? or just have most things normal and set browsing priority to high. The QoS ruleset might be setup for 1.6 but needs to be redone for 1.7.x. Just a possibility, depending on how your hardware identifies and shapes the packets.

You might want to set your Global Max Settings for Bandwidth consumption to 80% of what your ISP gives you. If you are on a LAN, you need to break it down by the number of Systems that are sharing your ISP.

Another is your Global Max Number of Connections, Max Number of connected peers per torrent, and the number of Slots allowed per torrent.

Finally if all else fails, change your, "net.max_halfopen" setting in your advanced features.

On the questions asked.

Firewall - Yes windows firewall along with a router running Tomato 1.07 which is working just fine with 1.6.1 as I type this.

uTorrent rule deletion/rewrite - not applicable. The router is set up for QOS based on the port used by uTorrent. I have set net.outgoing port to a fixed value to simplify the identification torrent traffic. I have been using this technique with other software such as Azerus which I converted from over a year ago...

net.max_halfopen - Left at default value of 8 in uTorrent

Bandwidth set to 80% of upstream - Been there done that in the QOS in the router. I have been running QOS since OpenWRT/DD-WRT and now Tomato since January this year. Also I chopped off another 5% below the value I use in the QOS settings in the router and have had this value in uTorrent since I first set it up back when I converted from Azerus....

Number of connections - Max Global 375, Peers per torrent 100, Upload slots per torrent 4....these are working like a champ with 1.6.1...

Thanks for the responses so far.....but I just ran another test before I replied and 1.7 slowed down my TCP traffic to the point where I couldn't browse again. Relaunched 1.6.1 and back to normal. Netstat didn't show anything out of the ordinary and the number of connections though my router were about the same...

Does utorrent 1.7.2 seem to more aggressively make outbound connections? You can figure this out by the number of connections not marked as I. These connections would not be shaped by your QoS config as it would only apply to incoming connections on X port and not outbound connections from a user port on your PC to someone else's listening port. If you can prioritise by destination, you might try setting higher than normal for destinations of port 80 and 443, as most peers won't use those service ports, Leave utorrent at normal. Also, this seems like an awful lot of connections you allow, I have 100/100 server and only allow 200 per torrent. 1.7.1 just might connect too aggressively for your QoS. You might reduce that, as well as bt_connect.speed, which determines how fast the client will attempt to establish connections. The number is equal to number per second and 20 might just be too aggressive. Try 5 or 10. Reduce half open a bit and see if you see improvement as well. Optimal settings varying by version is nothing new if you were a former Azureus user.

Edit:

Change: HTTP client now tries to acquire more data per request

these extra peers would be unhandled by your QoS, which only handles peers remotely connecting to you, since it only handles your listening port.

Outbound connections look to be about the same for the torrents I am sharing. Yes these are captured by my QOS rules since I am using a fixed outbound port by the advanced setting: net.outgoing port.

I have a rather large upstream pipe and a beefy workstation running uTorrent so the number of connections made sense at the time. I could try going down to a 100 connection and see what happens. But since I only host 1 to 2 torrents at a time I would never hit the 375 max based on 100 per torrent....

I have received a couple of the following:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

But these also happen under the 1.6.1 client. Maybe one or two per week.....

Repatch tcp.sys. Windows tends to be quite anal about the 10 limit and sometimes fails to reset it when connections are dead for all purposes, It should improve performance immensely and might solve your problem. You can't establish new connections, including browsing, once the limit is reached.

How do you go back to 1.6. I am having the same problem. My browsing is really slow. when I shut off uTorrent it goes right back to normal. I tried uploading pictures to get developed today and i had to shut it and everything was fine. uTorrent is finally set right for me. How can you go back, I have tried and it just reinstalls 1.7.

OK I tried in 1.7.2 to go to just 100 connections and set the half open setting to 4 instead of 8 and still have the same issue. When its running only the browsing on the workstation is effected. I go to my laptop and everything is great.

So the catalyst seems to be 1.7.2. At this time I think I am going to stay with 1.6.1 but I do appreciate the information that was provided to attempt to solve this issue....

The real sustainable down and up speeds for your connection may be lower than what µTorrent is trying to use as well. ISPs can sometimes play dirty and throttle at times-of-day or based on traffic type...they sense file-sharing and everything spontaneously gets slower...to discourage file-sharing "secretly".

Yep I understand that some ISP are doing traffic shaping...but this doesn't explain why the workstation running uTorrent 1.7.2 slows down browsing while a laptop and another desktop doesn't see the slowdown using the same network/router connection to the internet. Only the workstation hosting uTorrent 1.7.2 is effected.

If traffic shaping is being applied by the ISP or they are playing with bandwidth it would effect all 3 computers.....

I've been back up on 1.7.2 for about an hour now and so far so good. I have left the half opens to 8 as they were in 1.6.1. Uploads are being shaped by my router as expected and I can see the outbound utilzation go up and down based on my browsing and other traffic....I am keeping my fingers crossed that the first few times of using 1.7.2 were just a fluke?

• 3 weeks later...

yup i got the same problem.

when i have utorrent up my internet browsing stops. IM's are working though [trillian].

while i have ut up on my main rig, i go on my laptop and it browses fine [speedtest.net shows that i have full BW]. so i dont think it's my router.

i've tried turning NAT-PMP + uPnP off. no dice.

havn't tried the net.max_halfopen thing yet, but i'm doubtful that's going to fix it.

though, i was an azureus user, but i've switched because it's become a resource hog.

edit:seems the tcp.sys patch fixed it :) utorrent FTW!

Archived