maximum number of active downloads not reached yet some dl queued ?

h0rnytoad1

i have 1 superseed and 5 torrents for downloads, but only 4 are downloading and 1 is queued and my options are set to 5 active downloads out of 8 total torrents.

the trackers are all working, just that queued one is reporting inactive in DHT, but its the same tracker as other torrents im downloading and its a public tracker and very open (no limit of torrents per tracker). if i move the downlaod up from 5th place to 4th, it starts and my 5th keeps going or gets queued.

its like µt doesnt respect that "max active downloads" limit properlly.

Maybe the code to check for "how many torrents should dl+seeding" doesn't look at the "max number of active torrents" but rather the "max active dl" setting ? (hence the 1seed + 4downloads = 5, and that leaves 1 dl queued up since it thinks 5 is my max total ul+dl)

anyone seen this happen?

On both uTorrent 1.2 and the new Beta release there's a possible discrepancy under Options -> Preferences... -> Torrent Options.

The line titled 'Maximum Number of Active Downloads' seems to control not just the active and queued downloads, but in fact all torrents.

Check the logic (I was once known to be wrong... frequently):

Let's say you have the 'Maximum Number of Active Downloads' set to 2. With 2 seeding files active, any newly loaded .torrent file sets up a queued download. Now you set the 'Maximum Number of Active Downloads' to 3, and the new file starts downloading immediately.

Either I'm missing a nuance in BT language or this setting controls the Total Number of Active Torrents on the client. If that's the case, what does the field just above this one do? It's the one that claims to control the total number of active torrents (upload or download).

Thoughts?

i'm thinking either the code only checks for the bottom one (in Torrent Options) or there's a load balancing problem in connexions.

just the wording has changed in 1.2 or 1.1.7.2, but this problem has been going on since the beginning, i've seen queued torrents on and off.

i think its a problem with global maximum connexions being tapped out. meaning µt assigns more connexions to the first torrents and doesnt have any left for new torrents. might be a bit too agressive in trying to keep those 1st torrents connected.

atleast thats what i've seen. i've set my global connections to 250 and max per torrent to 75 and it happens randomly whenever there's many torrents.

Luckly enough, it doesnt happen often, and may be able to fix itself after a while as connections get closed & assigned to other torrents.

well right now i just happen to have 8 downloads going, no seeds, but all of them are showing as downloading, but only 5 of them are actually showing anything downloading. the 3 others are showing downloading but 0 in dl speed column. options are set to 5dl/8 torrents

is this what the max active downloads is for ? i thought it would have set the 3 others as queued ? but i think µt is trying to download a bit of each in turn rather than 1 torrent at a time. wich is ok since if one of them isn't downloading then another one can take its slot instead. that would be a neat feature to have though.

imagine, on all those ratio based trackers, if you can't dl the torrents cuz of low ratio, then it won't stop your other torrents from downloading.

h0rnytoad1: I can't understand why the amount of downloading torrents would exceed the allowed number of downloads. That seems like a bug to me.

But the seeding tasks counted as downloading is because of the option "Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks". So if you uncheck that option, it should work as expected.

But the seeding tasks counted as downloading is because of the option "Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks". So if you uncheck that option, it should work as expected.

I thought that might be the case also. Tried it under several conditions. No difference as far as I can see.

J.

Archived