Blue Screen of Death(tm)!

j00dedf00

Using uTorrent 1.7.2, Pentium DC Duo 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, Vista Home Premium

At random times and for seemingly no reason, my PC gives me the BSoD with no warning or any sort of message. On reboot, Vista informs me politely that "A problem has occurred and Windows had to restart." I hate Vista very much, but this has not happened to me yet. I was okay on 1.6.1, but since the update to 1.7.x, this happens more and more frequently. Please help.

I found nothing under Control Panel>System, and even went so far as to change settings in the BIOS. My BSoD is still sans message, but it doesn't automatically reboot anymore. I've also begun to notice that this only seems to happen when my transfer rate gets very high (beyond 150Kb/s).

I suppose I could live with a ceiling on my download speed, but is that really living?

In the end it seems that this may not be a problem with uTorrent. I have tested the bandwidth settings, and as long as I leave the Max DL Speed set to 150Kb/s or less, I don't have the problem. It may be my ISP, or even my computer.

In any case, I suppose I've solved the problem. As an after-thought, is there some sort of place that I could find an error log for uTorrent just in case? If such a thing exists I could post it for reference.

I must have fixed the problem.

I left uTorrent running all weekend with my max DL speed set to only 150kb/s, and no BSoD. I don't know why this would happen, but I also don't care so long as it works now. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Checked for crash dumps and found none, so it must be a hardware or OS issue.

Archived