My downloads used to be fast but now is slow!!!

ThuG_PoeT

Hi,

My torrents downloads were really fast (reaches 100KB/s) but suddenly a couple of weeks ago it became slow. I followed all the steps in your from but its still slow. I dunno what happened.

My house-mates have good speeds (one is using uTorrent & the other one BitComet) so its not from the ISP.

My port is also forwarded & i don't use any firewalls. My house mate BitComet reaches 140KB/s without evening forwarding.

Even if I'm connected to many seeds i often get 0.0KB/s although the torrent is blue color!!!!

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HELP!!!

You cannot use the same port as your house mates without problems.

Your connection's upload speed is a MAJOR bottleneck and can kill everyone's download speeds if the combined upload speed of all the active torrent programs tries to exceed max.

How fast does the OpenOffice "test" torrents run?

No, i didn't say we share the same ports, everyone was his own "different" forwarded ports. plus we take turns, we r not all downloading at the same time but i get slow speeds.

the OpenOffice "test" torrents avg. download speed is 2.3kB/s and in 1 hour & 47 mins i downloaded only 14.8MB :(:(

Even if not all downloading at the same time, are you all uploading/seeding?

If so, your shared connection is still overloaded.

You've said nothing about the max capabilities of the internet connection, both for download AND upload.

Nor have you said what settings you're trying to use in µTorrent.

Also, what sort of settings are the other people using?

(Just to get an idea what works for them.)

Without such critical information, I can only give up in frustration or lie to you.

lol, no need to give up in frustration or lie to me.

ok my Internet connection as said by my ISP is: 1Mb/s dl & 512kb/s ul but,

when i do the speed test its about 130-150kb/s dl & 40-50kb/s ul (used 2 be more).

And by "we r not all downloading at the same time" i meant they totally shut-down their PCs (no dl nor ul) and the settings they r using is the default settings, they didnt change anything (the settings u get when u 1st download the client).

hmm wat else, oh the settings i'm using is wat the stickies suggested.

So in Speed Guide (CTRL+G) you choose xx/512k, right?

(You might want lower, such as xx/384k or even less, just to make sure there's no slowdowns to web surfing while you're running µTorrent.)

Chances are you've got antivirus software with a 'secret' firewall in it that's limiting the heck out of µTorrent. ...Or Window XP's firewall is messing with µTorrent. ...or a virus doing pretty much the same thing.

Well you have Norton, try temporarily uninstalling that? I don't think you can totally disable windows firewall, I'd try making Utorrent an exception in Windows firewall and keeping Norton uninstalled to see if there were any changes..Good luck buddy, we're here to help, don't take your frustration out on us.

"don't take your frustration out on us."

Hey i'm not frustrated or anything :)

Btw i just wanted to add that only uTorrent downloads r slow. Anything else is fine (HTTP & FTP downloads with or without download manager and web surfing is still fast).

PS: Isn't uninstalling the antivirus is not safe, especially with an open forwarded port

Not really, if you've got all other incoming ports blocked. It is very unlikely that µTorrent will take any incoming packets on the forwarded port and try to run them like an .EXE file. ...and probably no other program is even listening on that port. (Other programs may not even be able to while µTorrent is running!)

The bigger danger is surfing the internet and unintentially downloading a virus/trojan...or an Internet Explorer exploit auto-installs some junk on your computer. But if the virus/trojan/junk is too new, your antivirus software won't help you anyway...as it won't detect the virus/trojan.

Archived