PC used in Multiple locations

WOODUT

I use my PC (laptop) (XP) in multiple locations all of which define at DHCP.

Utorrent seems to require a fixed IP address. If I setup a fixed IP, when i move to another location with a different ISP, this should not work?

How can i configure the PC at one location that uses a RTA 1025W (seems to be same as Dynalink RTA 1320, from www.portforward.com), but still be certain that everything will work at the other two locations, where i do not have local administrator access to the Router/Modem.

Thanks for all answers.

If you won't have admin rights you cannot forward a port. Which on the plus side means DHCP is fine. You'll have to switch between dhcp and static though depending on where you plugin your laptop. But u could make batch files on your desktop for that.

To set your network to dhcp create a new file with notepad and save it as dhcp.bat with the following lines:

netsh interface ip set address networkname dhcp
netsh interface ip set dns networkname dhcp
ipconfig /renew networkname
pause

Replace networkname with the exact name your network connection has in the Control Panel -=> Network. If the network has a space in it enclose the name in " symbols.

To set your network to a static IP create a static.bat file in the same way and use the following lines:

netsh interface ip set address networkname static 192.168.0.50 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 10
netsh interface ip set dns networkname static 192.168.0.1
pause

Replace networkname in the same manner as before and replace 192.168.0.50 with the static IP you want and 192.168.0.1 (in both lines) with the IP of your router.

(This works for wireless network connections too. I myself use a set of bat files to setup my network connection depending on where I am.)

Archived