Couple of questions ( auto max upload rate and auto seeding )

foxy22

I noticed an 'Automatic' setting in Preferences/Connection/Maximum upload rate (kB/s). Would downloads be faster or as fast as manual if I set rate to auto? I've currently set mine to 20 for my 2Mbit connection, which is what I have in azareus. I always found 20kB/s upload rate to work quite well in azareus giving me the best balance of download and upload, but am wondering if automatic would do as well or find me a better setting.

Again in azareus, once my torrent download has completed, the torrent file automatically disappears from the top pane and reappears in a bottom pane and starts to seed. Does uTorrent do that or do I have to set a rule?

What is your connection's upload rate? The upload rate should be selected in the Speed Guide. After that, it should be safe to use automatic upload rate without much/any detriment. Would it be advantageous for you? Not directly/immediately, but BitTorrent is built around the idea of reciprocating shared data, so if you share more, you'll be more likely go get more people to send data to you (and automatic upload should help you share more quickly if you aren't already at aabout 80% of your connection's max upload rate).

Thanks for the reply, Ultima.

My connection upload rate is about 180Kbps, my connection being 2MB with virgin media. So does 20kb/s sound about right for uTorrent? I've also set upload slots to 4 and global connections to 80.

How about the seeding bit, does it auto seed the torrent I'm downloading when it's finished?

These are my current speed stats if that helps?

Date 29/07/07 05:21:04

Speed Down 1910.28 Kbps ( 1.9 Mbps )

Speed Up 180.93 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

Port 8095

Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

I understand my torrent upload rate should be set to about an 1/8th of that 180.93 which is about 22kb/s, is that correct?

Thanks for the replies guys! =)

Update: yep, a file I completed downloading yesterday started seeding automatically, so that's sorted! \o/

Lol yea, I'm used to azareus dropping the file into a second window halfway down the interface

which then shows the file seeding.

My upload rate is set to 20 and by your calculations, a 1/10 of my 180.93 Kbps is 18. I do find 20 works best though so I'll probably stick with that for now, but I may try 18.

One other question if I may. Share ratio. The file I downloaded was 1.65GB. I let it seed all night and all day today until it got to 1.66GB and then quit. Share ratio for that went up to 1.008 or thereabouts. A second file I'm downloading is currently showing share ratio of 0.452. I will let that seed too and get the ratio up to past 1 or 1.5.

Is there an overall share ratio number somewhere instead of separate share ratio numbers per file? The reason I ask is because in azareus, at the bottom of the screen, there is a green circle which says 'Ratio' next to it. If I put my mouse over it it gives me my share ratio figure and the word OK. Example 'Share Ratio 1.00 OK'.

Archived