DHT ...strangeness

Dierk

First of all a big hi to all here in the forums and Much thanks to the developers for such a great BT client. I have been having problems for sometime with DHT not being able to connect ever since my upgrade from 1.6.1. After reading all I could find here for help, and trying everything mentioned, nothing worked, and I gave up. Deciding that switching to another client that MAYBE there was a bug in Utorrent (using current version 1.7.2). After installing Azureus 2.5.0.4, (which personally I hate) downloading and configuring plug-ins and all that, DHT is working in Azureus. Tested it, checked for blocks on DHT inside of safepeer, etc... and shut down Azureus. I then thought, I'll start up Utorrent again and see if... lo and behold, DHT IS WORKING AGAIN!! WAAHOO!! I have stopped and restarte Utorrent 10 times now to see if I can reproduce the error again, nothing... Getting 251 nodes as I type. Believe me, I had tried everything... including a fresh install of Utorrent, deleting all the app data...rechecking my router config, etc...etc...

Now this is a theory of mine, and maybe I'm wrong... I truly believe it was a conflict somewhere in Windows XP, that simply would not correct...errr something, until I installed Azureus. Now I can settle back to Utorrent once again! :D

I really wanted to pass this along here and see what you all think.

BTW, My peerguardian is blocking BitTorrent Inc. on all I.P.'s, Status still goes green and now that my DHT problem is resolved, I am really wondering why Bittorrent inc. is being blocked? And also why is Utorrent constantly trying to connect to it? I mean I know BitTorrent INC. is the new owner and all but... I have auto update disabled and I know my ports are working correctly and now my DHT is resolved, so why the need to connect to them?

BTW, My peerguardian is blocking BitTorrent Inc. on all I.P.'s, Status still goes green and now that my DHT problem is resolved, I am really wondering why Bittorrent inc. is being blocked?

Since you know where to get "peerguardian" program, you already know also where to ask that question =)

And also why is Utorrent constantly trying to connect to it?

Please, provide the exact "BitTorrent Inc. IP" utorrent is trying to connect to. 72.20.34.145? This could be the central DHT router for example.

Thanks for your responses!

@slipstream:

The I.P.'s are 72.20.34.145, 72.20.4.102, and 208.72.193.198 all listed under BitTorrent Inc.

@Ultima:

Okay I understand that then, But my DHT is working even with it being blocked now??

Thanks again! Even though I've been using bittorrents now ever since the demise of the original WinMX.... I still continue to learn, and hopefully something here will be of use to others having any kind of DHT connection issues.

On a side note, I have unblocked all of these connections to Bittorrent Inc. and I am quite confident that nothing should arise from that. If the folks at Bluetack want to point fingers, why not point at vuze for a while .. eh? I personally believe there is nothing wrong with adding an option to download free or low cost content within the client itself. Then the downloader has other viable options. But thats a whole other topic isn't it?

I actually voted FOR putting BitTorrent Inc (and others like it, including Azureus Aelitis Vuze domains) in Level 1. The reason I did so was to establish the precedent of erring on the side of caution when software publishers are involved, knowing full well that the users could manually permit any connection that they wanted. Even as I voted for it, none of the three ranges that it would affect gave me any concern. My vote was truly thinking about establishing a policy for future up-and-comers.

It's also a good first thing for a PeerGuardian (et. al) user to learn how to do -- to permit a blocked connection. I used to see complaints all the time from users complaining that their favorite site was blocked, and they were insisting that they could not overcome this obstacle until their favorite site was removed from their blocklist. They truly seemed dumbfounded, then happy, when you suggested they try a simple "right click."

Archived