settings changing by themselves?

stoneydork

Hello, I read the guide on how to properly set up Utorrent according to my connection and speeds. So .. I did my speed test and my upload speed was 654 kb/s so I did what the guide said and did 654 / 8 x .08 = 6.54 soo.. in my preferences under upload speed limit I put a 7 (I rounded up) .. then I went into Speed guide and under connection type i put xx/768k since my download speed test said it was 1848 kb/s ( i rounded down to not be too greedy with speed) .. but.. after i apply, and hit ok, all the settings i just saved get reset. my upload speed limit goes back up to 96 and my connection type resets back to nothing (it resets to where the drop down menue is empty and says "(current settings)" ).. IM Confused as to why it keeps resetting. And my a little annoyed cause my downloads are taking forever, my upload speed is going higer than my download speed and i dont want that. I would like to fix this if possible. Thanks for any help.

80% != 0.08

80% == 0.8

The setup guide actually tells you that 0.8 == 80%, actually...

And I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about selecting xx/768k for your download rate, considering the fact that the Speed Guide specifically asks for your upload rate, and doesn't care at all about your download rate.

when i said xx/768k i didnt say thats my upload speed LIMIT. i said thats my Connection TYPE under Speed Guide, you go in speed guide and it has a drop down menue for connections, thats where the xx/768k im setting is

but thats not my problem.. if we could put what my actual settings are aside, and get to my problem.. which is, my settings reset by themselves and dont stay what i put them as..

im not very computer literate by most pc user standards, and im not very literate with Utorrent. I just want what i set up to stay. I dont want to keep re doing my settings, cause they are not resetting after closin down Utorrent, they reset each time i hit Apply and Ok. so .. its like.. i waste my time setting up my settings, hit apply and ok , watch my torrent download and notice.. the speeds are back to normal, so i re open preferences and speed guide only to find everything i did has been reset. its frustrating

The Speed Guide sets everything up for you once you click "Use selected settings." If you don't want µTorrent to keep changing your settings, then you shouldn't be running the Speed Guide over and over :/

I did my speed test and my upload speed was 654 kb/s so I did what the guide said and did 654 / 8 x .08 = 6.54
1. Take your upload speed result in kbits and divide it by 8 (you now have your result in kBytes.)

2. Take your speed in kBytes and multiply it by 0.8 (this now gives you a proper upload speed of 80% of you tested max)

654 / 8 * 0.8 = 65.4KiB/s

I keep bringing this up because there is a BIG difference between 6.54KiB/s and 65.4KiB/s that just can't be left alone.

so .. how do i set my connection type (when it resets it resets to nothing as ive stated) .. if i hit "use selected settings" it resets as youve said.. so what do i hit to keep my 768k setting?

sorry im not tryin to annoy you, im just confused. you say it sets everything up once i hit use selected settings, but it doest , it resets it to nothing. so theres no setting at all in the drop menue.

so , if i choose it to use xx/768k how do i close out the box without cancelling out my choice? the only option to close out box is the cancel button and use selected setting button or the X on top of window.

i am feeling like a nuisance.

lol I think I'm getting confused now, after rereading your previous posts... Just to be sure:

1) Select xx/512k in the Speed Guide (xx/768k might be too high for your connection) and hit "Used selected settings"

2) Set the upload rate to 65KiB/s in the Preferences

It should be fine afterwards.

A note about speed testing: Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. If you didn't do this, then you should retest your connection accordingly for a more accurate result and paste the results here.

lol thank you so much, i put the 512k in speed guide and it set my upload limit automatically to 47. so im assuming from what your saying that it is doing so cause of my connections. So im guessing this is ok . sorry if i was being a little annoying lol, i just get confused easily. Thanks again for your help, its downloadin a bit better now that Ive got this sitauted. I guess the 768k was too high afterall.

i just closed out torrent and every other internet using program (yahoo Im ) as u suggested and re did my speed test, the results are :

1798 kb/s downloads

632 kb/s uploads

Archived