managing initial uploads for maximum efficiency?

diomedes

I frequently create my own torrents, and i wonder if i can find a way to make the initial seeding process faster.

A 300 Mb file would average at about a day and a half. Is there a way to speed up the process? Is there some special seeding process built into Utorrent?

Initial seeding is used for maximum efficiency. Maximum speed is NOT maximum efficiency. Maximum availability using minimal bandwidth is maximum efficiency.

What milestones are you using to gague the amount of time? How long it takes for a new seed to apeear? Or how long it takes for the availability to reach 2.0+?

Actually, i realized i said initial seeding, but i never have tried it. Somethign about it confused me about it at the time.

Now, i create my torrent and start it up. Can i check off the "initial seeding" after i begin seeding it and expect it to work then? Or should i somehow configure things so it's set to initial seeding before i actually load/start the torrent?(because that i wouldn't know how to do, as i have tried).

How do i know that it's working as initial seeding? I guess if it's checked off it's working....What kind of difference then should i expect if it is working as initial seeding? Like 2ce as fast? My milestone would be how long is it before i can expect the swarm of peers to get 100% and begins seeding the complete file among themelves.

Ok, i tried it out on a new torrent and it appears to work, but yes, like you said, it's not necessarily faster at all.

My main concern is to have the swarm become self-sufficient quicker. It seems the best thing i an do to have that happen is cap the uploads on my other torrents that are in the process of downloading. Is there anything else i can do in addition to that?

The thing about regular seeding is that it doesn't necessarily make the swarm self-sufficient more quickly either. Regular seeding is a matter of luck, since you're never really sure how much bandwidth you need to expend before availability reaches 2.0. It's easily possible with regular seeding that you share 1.5x the original data size, sometimes even more (think 1.8x, for example).

Increasing your upload rate might help as long as you don't saturate your connection's upload speed, but that's not really a guarantee either (lol by now, you've probably realized that nothing in BitTorrent is a guarantee). Initial seeding should run faster if there are lots of peers, though. Just make sure you're the only seed, as things may become weird with another seeder in the swarm while you're using Initial seeding.

I've seen initial seeding spend minutes on end uploading nothing because the peer that the last complete piece was uploaded to apparently has their upload speed very low and/or split too many ways. End result, although initial seeding may take LESS bandwidth to completely seed to 1+ availability, it always takes longer because of the long downtimes.

Maybe this wouldn't be true on torrents with "good" peers that are more willing to share at a reasonable rate, but realities are usually it's not worth the effort even if you're the only seed or really the initial seeder. :(

Archived