What Does xx/512 Mean In the Speed Thing?

abrogard

I have ADSL 512/128 kb according to my provider (aanet.com.au) and I take it that means download speeds of 512 bits per second meaning I can only get about 50 bytes per second down and about 12 bytes per second up. At best.

Now I find mutorrent, which is the only one I use and I think it usually pretty good, often has my upload speeds higher than my download speeds! Which I don't want to be mean but I do want to get more down quicker than I put up. Is that okay or it shouldn't work like that?

And those speeds don't ever exceed about 15 kb/s - which I assume is 15 Kilo Bytes/sec or about 150 kbits/sec and a lot short of what I should/could expect.

I look in the speed thing and it says pick your speed from a list that goes xx/128, xx/512 and so on.

So what do I pick? What's this 'xx' ?

I forget what the speed tester thing gave me... it doesn't much matter, does it? I know what I'm rated at here in Aus. and the point is to set my machine at what suits....

And I don't know...

anyone can help?

what should I expect? what should I set? what is this 'xx'?

regards,

ab :)

I have ADSL 512/128 kb according to my provider (aanet.com.au) and I take it that means download speeds of 512 bits per second meaning I can only get about 50 bytes per second down and about 12 bytes per second up. At best.

That sounds right for your connection. It will take some time for the protocol to find the best peers for your connection. Wait about 15-20 minutes before looking at your speeds as this does take time.

Your SpeedGuide choice would be xx/128k. The xx is your ISP's download speed to you. Upload is almost always the constraint, the xx simply means that it doesn't matter.

Remember that kB/s is kilobytes per second. kb/s (or kb) is kilobits per second. There are 8 bits per bite.

I forget what the speed tester thing gave me... it doesn't much matter, does it?

Actually, it matters more than what your ISP says your speed is. ISPs give the maximum speeds (which is why they usually say "up to 5000kbps"); this is in a perfect world where you're the only customer on a flawless loop. If you set the speed guide to xx/128k, it would be the right setting for your ideal connection, but if your real connection is only 96kbps, you'd probably be better going with the next lower option (xx/64k, I believe), because xx/128k would be like trying to overdraw the connection, it ultimately lowers your download speeds.

Thanks for that. I find it interesting. But what does it mean exactly? What is happening in software terms when you try to 'overdraw' the connection that makes it ultimately lower my download speeds?

I get: 1710720 bytes received in 42.41Seconds 40.34Kbytes/sec. on my local ISP speed test.

To USA on the mutorrent tests I get 388Kb/s up 115Kb/s down to NJ and 411Kb/s up and 102Kb/s down to CA.

I guess - as I'm downloading from the States - I should look at the international speeds I'm getting rather than the local Aus. speeds.

Do you still think I'd be better off moving to 64? I'll test it.

Archived