Please explain :(

bevels

Hey people,

I'm using a Dlink G604T and utorrent on an ADSL+2 connection (my direct download speeds are in excess of 1000kbps), I've spent DAYS if not weeks trying to get better speeds and i can't get anything over 40-50kbps?

seeds = 57 of 292 (316 in swarm)

peers = 34 0f 482 (333 in swarm)

DHT status = (got 121 peers)

I have UPnP enabled.

I've tried DMZ, that had no effect. I've tried static IP and port forwarding to no advantage??

I just don't get it? The G604T seems to be notoriously problematic.

If anyone has any idea what i can do i'd be so greatful!

P.s. i've also tried a heap of other clients all with the same results. Azureus consistantly gave me green faces but no downloads over 20-30k :(

Are you sure your ISP doesn't throttle BitTorrent traffic?

Also don't forget that the number of seeds/peers doesn't really mean much if they are all uploading at squat rates. I can go from 20kB/s on one torrent to 300kB/s on another, simply because of the up speed of a peer.

Try downloading the first torrent on the following linked page. What speeds to you get?

http://www.slackware.com/torrents/

BTW, 50kB/s is still 400kbps, so if you can only manage about 1000kbps on a speed test, you won't get much higher than 100kB/s on a torrent (125kB/s == 1000kbps).

Also, most ADSL connections are notorious for having very assymmetric down and up values. You may be able to manage nearly 1 MegaBYTE/sec download speeds, but upload speeds may be limited to ~100 KiloBYTES/sec at best.

µTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G) is configured off your UPLOAD speed btw.

nos_slived.. thanks for the clarification! It makes perfect sense why i'm getting the speeds that I am. It was doing my head in when my direct downloads were around the 1000 kb/s mark, I could pull down 700mb in 10 minutes and my torrents were piddling down at only 50 kb/s!!

I tried downloading that torrent you mentioned and straight off the mark I was getting about 130 kb/s, a marked improvement on my usual speeds, still not where i'd like it to be but it's better. Why exactly is that? Is it the tracker? If so where are the best places to download torrents that will have these kind of speeds?

Thanks for your reply anyway :)

Switeck, thanks for the reply also.. That just adds to the "Penny dropping". I do have incredibley good download speeds but my upload is only 512. Is there anyway to make the most of this.. or do you think the speeds i'm currently getting are reflecting this fact and I'm not really going to get much better?

Thanks for your answers.

Bevels.

On really slow torrents (read: lots of peers but only 1 or 2 seeds), you tend to get about as much as you give...assuming your connection isn't overloaded.

Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and xx/512k setting should be the best match for your connection...assuming you're not being throttled by your ISP. Do note that will set µTorrent's upload speed max to only 47 KiloBYTES/sec, so splitting that amount too many ways between multiple torrents and multiple upload slots per torrent will also reduce to almost nothing how much download speed you get in return on "slow" torrents. Tit-for-Tat tends to mean peers upload the most if not everything they have to whoever is uploading the fastest to them...assuming they're not downloading from a seed, of course. :P

Switeck.. again thanks for the info, it's very much appreciated. I've gained all the clarification I could've hoped for in this single thread! No more beating my head against th wall (or the computer screen in this case)

Cheers.

Bevels.

Archived