Stats problem

MHauge

Hi, it seems there is a problem with µtorrent 1.7.2

After upgrading i have had a lot of trouble with wrong stats on private trackers, and some of them has banned µtorrent 1.7.x

I got some help on your irc channel - it looks like it helped to check the "Options > Preferences > BitTorrent > Limit local peer bandwidth"

So now i just have to convince the tracker-owners to unban 1.7.x, or wait for 1.8 ;)

ever heard of bugs ?

Thank you for your patronizing tone, but I'm sure you already know the answer to that. I never said µTorrent didn't have bugs, and I know of some myself.

When tracker administrators ban an entire µTorrent branch on the basis of improper statistics being sent, but provide little detail other than that, it's hard to take it as constructive feedback in the first place. All we're left with is the assumption that they're referring to the improper statistics being sent by 1.7.0 only, not 1.7.x. We've all seen this happen already with the latest "debacle."

But for argument's sake... let's say there is such a bug. In that case, do tell, what statistics the tracker administrators are saying are reported incorrectly, and in what way has toggling "Limit local peer bandwidth" changed the reported statistics?

I'm sure you have noticed in the IRC log that we have conducted a systematic test procedure... sorry, for patronizing again...

to the fact - the test was with 1.6.1 and 1.7.2 with and w/o this flag. for the results - you (and me) should have to wait and hope he didn't forget (like me...) to check the option to subscribe to this topic, and that there is no bug with it ... ;)

...and , you are welcome... sorry if it sounded like patronization, but as I said to DWK - keeping an open mind cannot heart anyone, right ?

I first noticed the problems on one tracker, after downloading around 3,7 GB data - and uploading around 6 GB, the tracker said that i had downloaded around 13 GB, and uploading 16 GB.

Then a couple of my running torrents started complaining because several other torrent sites had banned µtorrent 1.7.2, claiming that it didn't allways report the correct stats.

After making the change rafi suggested (the one in the first post) it look's normal in the first tracker, but the other trackers still ban 1.7.2 - so i have no idea if this is the problem they ran into.

All the torrent sites i know of still allow 1.6.1 - and have made independed test of client's - so when several of them are banning 1.7.2 because of errors in stats - there must be some problem with it ?

Those tracker administrators better clear up what they're referring to when they say "correct stats," as it doesn't narrow anything down for the devs to look at. As for the downloaded/uploaded amount, you'll notice that some other tracker administrators that have talked here here (Thehound and TooMuchTime, for example) gave µTorrent 1.7.2 the green light after extensive analysis, so I'm really not sure what to say about that.

@rafi: It is a valid "excuse" when I logged back into IRC in the middle or at the end of the conversation after my already-mentioned time off IRC.

Not recently, but i have done it a few times over the last couple of years..

By the way - i had a look at the sites.

The ones that complain about 1.7.x are using TBdev/TBDev DR - might be some sort of problem only related to this tracker software ?

The ones i'm using that allow 1.7.x use different other software.

You gays have actually no way to tell, and are guessing. The simple thing to do is to re-test it on the "problematic " site with the LPD on/off and see why it differs. There should be some difference and I'm sure the devs will easily find it using a debugger... so why guess ?

The 1.6.1.-1.7.2+LPD-off vs 1.7.2+LPD-on test that NHauge done is good enough to see if there is a problem or not. All the rest is just useless talking ...

Um. Are you the one reporting the bug here, or is MHague...? MHague is perfectly fine with answering some questions, and nothing is lost in our discussions. Last I checked, discussions in bug report threads wasn't against the rules, and discussing possibilities was a normal thing to do.

If guessing is so wrong, then your suggestion shouldn't be allowed either, since you're only guessing that it's a problem with LPD. And on that note, LPD is not in question here. MHague has only mentioned the limit local peer bandwidth option, which does not rely on LPD.

That aside...

(1) If the devs wanted to "debug" the problem on those problem trackers, they'd have to be members

(2) If anyone wanted to "test" on those trackers, the admins would first have to unban µTorrent (not a likely occurrence, if you ask me)

(3) Even if the problem manages to crop up on those trackers, why doesn't the fact that all the trackers that banned µTorrent using the same tracker software not matter? Why is it a useless fact? Why hasn't it cropped up on other trackers?

(3) Even if the problem manages to crop up on those trackers, why doesn't the fact that all the trackers that banned µTorrent using the same tracker software not matter? Why is it a useless fact? Why hasn't it cropped up on other trackers?

I'm with you on this.

TBDev source still uses this formula:

$downloaded = 0 + $downloaded;

$uploaded = 0 + $uploaded;

$left = 0 + $left;

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.integer.php

Int is a platform independant size, and always signed. The usual is 32bit, which has a max value of 2147483647, which as you can see is 1 byte short of 2GB.

The 0+$downloaded is pretty much gauranteed to turn anything above 2GB into a platform independant size of float. Floats in PHP also have varying accuracy.

The uncertainty can be cleared up using preg_match('`^\d+$`',$uploaded) and doing any calculations in mysql (which can handle 64bit integers).

Having said that, the tracker should still handle the data the same way if the input figures are the same. If it gets the figures wrong, it should get the wrong consistantly with the same data.

I haven't seen any mention of this among sites I'm communication with though, so I'd like to see more info on testing methods if anyone has any.

On a slightly related note, in the past week at least one site has received notice from users that their profiles are showing incorrect stats while using older versions of azureus (which should have had stats bugs known by now). Might be interesting to compare ISPs.

Along those lines of integer overflow, leaving "Limit local peer bandwidth" unchecked would make it all the more likely that the integer would overflow, as the peer would be transferring much more data before the next announce with local peers not limited than when limited.

This topic is getting a bit too technical for me at the moment, but if this help to solve the problem - then fine by me :)

By the way, another one of my regular trackers using BtiTracker has started banning µtorrent 1.6.x

Now i can't use one client for everything :(

If all else fails, get to hacking and change the client version reported to trackers. Can be done a couple ways, easiest probably being with a packet monitor that allows smart filtering.

I normally wouldn't condone this practice, but trackers don't normally ban clients due to errors caused in their own software.

Hi there, I have a problem which I think is similar.

I'm using 1.7.2 build 3548 of utorrent.

I uploaded a torrent to a private tracker which was my own DVd rip . The file size was 748MB, it has been seeded 3 times but the amount showing as uploaded on my tracker statistics is on 522.88. The amount showing as uploaded on utorrent is 833MB. I have reported it to the site who have provided me with a screenshot showing the amount reported as uploaded by utorrent, and also that I was originally the only one who was seeding this file.As it is my own file, the minimum amount uploaded should be the filesize of 748MB, even disregarding any failed hashchecks.

As I say I can provide screenshots to confirm this preferably in a pm.

Thanks in anticipation

Archived