Seeding question

foxy22

Just finished downloading another torrent file which was a particularly slow file. Not uTorrent being slow, just the file for some reason. So it's currently seeding, also very slow. I would like to remove it and seed one of my other uTorrent downloads. How can I do this? If I click 'Add Torrent' and add the torrent file, it wants to download the torrent. How do I add it back and make it seed only?

Also, by seeding another file and raising my overall share ratio, does it matter that I removed the slower file which is currently on 0.528 ratio and not carried on seeding that?

Hm...? You don't have to remove the torrent, you just have to stop it. Removing is as simple/intuitive as pressing Delete on the keyboard. You should leave the file seeding, really.

If you want to seed something else, just load the torrent and point to wherever the files are on disk.

"If you want to seed something else, just load the torrent and point to wherever the files are on disk."

Yeah I've loaded it and pointed it where the files are. My question is, how I do know it's gonna seed instead of downloading again and overwriting my files ? Because at the moment it looks like a torrent about to start downloading.

If you're not sure, you can always force a recheck. Make sure you've got the correct location selected though...

Example:

If the current location on disk is C:\Downloads\Ubuntu_7.04\ then...

A) When you browse for the path when adding the torrent, make sure you select C:\Downloads\. µTorrent will automatically append the torrent title to the path (Ubuntu_7.04 in this example), and set the Save As path to C:\Downloads\Ubuntu_7.04\ (you'll see this when you check over the add torrent dialog's Save As field).

B) If you select C:\Downloads\Ubuntu_7.04\ while browsing for the directory in the add torrent dialog, it'll append the title again and attempt to save to C:\Downloads\Ubuntu_7.04\Ubuntu_7.04\ (again, you'll see before you actually press OK on the add).

(A) is what you want, not (B). Better yet, if you know the exact path to the base directory, then you can just paste it into the Save As field in the add torrent dialog without needing to click the "..." to pick your path. For the example, it'd be C:\Downloads\Ubuntu_7.04\ that you paste.

I did that, did a re-check, clicked start, crossed my fingers and it said ...............

=( ....................

...........Seeding =D Thanks, Ultima.

I've set an alternate upload rate when not downloading to 40. Is it a case of the higher the better so long as it doesn't choke my pc too much?

Archived