Having low speeds- Thanks for reading

desi

Hello everyone, I fairly new to these forums. (Don't plan on being unknown for long though, hehe). Well I have a Linksys WRT54G Router, and I've been getting a yellow light, can't get it to go green. I setup at portforward.com, I got my static ip, did what I was told in the instructions and still seem to be getting the same yellow light. I saw in this forum the sticky of "If you have a WRT54G, read here", I took about 5 hours of my time to do what I was told in that sticky, I ended up bricking my router and lost my internet. Had to do a rollback and now I'm back online..So That was a waste of time I guess. So this is my last resort , asking you fellas. I opened up the port 22500 but when I check if my port is forwarded- Via utorrent options..It states an I.P I'm not connecting from..So please help me ..I will often be looking at this topic so any type of feedback, or reply is welcome..Thanks for reading..and I hope to see your posts.

Umm about the DHCP range I'm a bit confused, but the modem is a Motorola SB5120 SURFboard Cable Modem. About firewall ..I think I don't have a windows firewall really, can't find it, hasn't ever ever interrupted to allow or deny access to anything. I have a Kaspersky Internet Security Suite, but that doesn't really block access (I think)..It just stops or asks of what ever wants to run on my computer like a .exe, nothing over the net like firewall. Sorry if I'm sounding noob, you don't have to explain about the DHCP range, just provide links and I will read in my own time, if that's what you'd like.

Edit: After going to settings in Kaspersky I saw it had the option of "Scan Http traffic". Which was enabled, also has a spot for me to add urls into the trusted zone. The security level is set to minimal protection, second highest as default which has -Optimal protection and is appropriate for most users"..If I put on lowest it says -Minimum protection, maximum speed"..I dunno what it means by maximum speed , maybe you can explain Ultima or someone else:)

Edit 2: I disabled the whole Kaspersky web security, no changes:(.

1) SurfBoards are known to be problematic for many people

2) Kaspersky Internet Security has a firewall, and needs to be configured properly

3) The DHCP range can be found in the router configuration. There isnt' really any link to be read, as it's different from router to router.

Edit: Uninstall KIS temporarily. We need to get rid of possible problem causers and add them on one by one to be sure the port remains forwarded.

I'll look for the dhcp range in my router settings via 192.168.1.1 -Correct? Edit, I uninstalled KIS:)

Edit 2; editing because I don't want to double post. Anyways I uninstalled KIS and am still having the same speeds. Maybe it's the torrent guys? But like if I download off the internet I get speeds at 300kb, highest I've seen on torrent is like 156, with a highly seeded file, not a lot of leechers..

Well I just got up at 11:59, I'm gonna go freshen up and I'll try connecting the computer directly to the SurfBoard and get back to you guys. As for the firewall, I have windows xp sp1, so I think I don't have a firewall because in utorrent>preferences>connections it says "Add utorrent windows firewall exceptions(Windows xp Sp2 or later only) so that's probably not for me. And Switeck my upload speeds are usually 3kb or 4kb, no matter what. I usually let them seed and never delete the files, but they take a while. And as of now my light on utorrent just went red by itself.

Edit: My DHCP range is from 100, to 150.

How'd you know, yep I'm with Rogers..I got my port to open, I'm still getting the same speeds though. Do you reccomend any particular private torrent sites, which might give off good torrents or anything..Lol my upload speed is 0.1kb , it's been that way since morning from a high of 4kb/s to 0.1..Go rogers?

Which is Preferences>Bittorent, and setting Protocol Encryption to forced from enabled?

And also uncheck "Allow incoming legacy connections", that would force incoming connections to be encrypted as well.

How'd you know, yep I'm with Rogers..

In that case encryption probably would not help, according to most previous Rogers-related threads - forum.utorrent.com / Search : encryption AND Rogers

PS:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

Rogers, Canada

limits BitTorrent bandwidth: Yes

proposed Encryption level: blocks encrypted traffic

prevents seeding: Yes

Thanks Sliptstream for that info..sucks but I got upto 390kb today with a torrent from a private site..Now my share ratio is crap because I can't upload back, I just keep dl'ing, how nice..Also my utorrent status is green, when I check with the Torrent Port Checker, it says my port isn't open..Lol so wierd problems going on.

Archived