uTorrent does not read the correct IP Address

Nomar1245

I've used several Bittorrent Clients and uTorrent is(or was) the best I'd ever used. I got incredibly fast speeds on a regular basis. I always used my desktop for torrents because it is hard wired to the modem though a Netgear WGR614 v6 Router, and I always got faster speeds.

I recently got a new lap top and when I configured the router to allow port forwarding for the new computer, I was pleasently suprised to see I was getting much faster speeds on my new lap top compared to my old one.

However, some time after this I noticed that my desktop uTorrent setup was no longer functioning properly. Here I used to get twice the speeds I get now, so I would like to get this fixed.

My major problem is that although Windows recognizes my IP address to be 192.168.1.3, uTorrent recognizes it to be 66.212.142.48, the address I recieved from my service provider that I would be using if I didn't have a router.

I can not port forward 66.212.142.48, nor can I get uTorrent to recognize the other address. I don't want to simply enable UPnP, because I actually get lower speeds with that than I do with the yellow triangle.

Below I've posted 2 screenshots to make things a bit clearer.

Thanks for any help in advance.

utorrent.jpg

LAN IP (private, used when port forwarding) is not the same as WAN IP (public, used to sorta temporarily identify you on the internet). WAN IP has absolutely no use when you're actually forwarding your port other than when the port checker is used, as the port checker can only see your WAN IP.

In other words, there's nothing wrong with the port checker.

At any rate, if the port checker is showing an error, then you haven't configured the port forwarding properly.

http://www.utorrent.com/setup_guide.php

I understand how internal LAN Ip's can change, my question is why is it not even looking at an internal address any more and simply reading the external address?

EDIT: I did read through the link you sent me and I did not find anything helpful there for this paticular situation.

My major problem is that although Windows recognizes my IP address to be 192.168.1.3, uTorrent recognizes it to be 66.212.142.48, the address I recieved from my service provider that I would be using if I didn't have a router.

I can not port forward 66.212.142.48

However you must portforward. Or else port checking is pointless - if you are behind a router/NAT and port is not forwarded (either manually or via UPnP) - it would appear always as "closed" to checker.

2 weeks ago it was "Checking 22222 on 192.168.1.3" and then what ever it says in green about it working.

That's impossible - utorrent would only check your EXTERNAL IP, that is 66.212.142.48 in your case.

See - the url passed to portchecker doesn't include your ip - http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=22222

it is just detected by the http server.

I understand how internal LAN Ip's can change, my question is why is it not even looking at an internal address any more and simply reading the external address?

...Because you don't understand what it MEANS to port forward.

Replying that your ip is 192.168.1.3 is like getting a call from your friend on your cellphone...and when he asks where you're at, you reply "in my car". While that may be true, your "car"/LAN can be anywhere on the internet...and is not very descriptive for a location.

If you've port forwarded correctly, then an incoming connection attempt to your INTERNET connection's ip should be properly forwarded through your LAN to your computer's LAN ip. So if trying to contact your internet ip doesn't work, chances are your port forwarding efforts have failed...likely due to a "hidden" firewall you didn't know about.

Modem nowadays often come with a firewall or mini-router in them that needs to be configured or disabled.

Antivirus software too often includes a firewall to filter out "bad stuff from the internet".

...And anything that says "security suite" is probably going to cause you more headaches configuring to work with µTorrent than just uninstalling it would. :P

I have the same problem. I have a D-Link dir-625, pc-cillin, a speedstream modem and am running utor 1.7.2. My firewall is set to allow utor. When I check to see if my port forwarded properly using uTorrent, it checks my wireless IP rather than my computers static IP which I have the port open on. So it has an error. The download speeds are somewhat slow. And I tried putting my DHCP range to not include my static IP, but it did not do anything.

ut.jpg

Is this not what I should have?

My DHCP is set from 192.168.0.137 to 192.168.0.199 and have no "hidden firewalls".

Edit: I turned off my DHCP to see if it wold fix the problem and it did, but not all of the computers on my network have static IPs so it must be on. However when it is on, the port forwarding does not work.

Edit: It is working now somehow even with the DHCP on...I don't know...

Archived