µtorrent Vs. Bitcomet

hofshi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitcomet is 2.6 megabytes to download and 5.36 megabytes uncompressed, µTorrent is currently 98 -107 kilobytes to download and use.

Bitcomet asks to install adware and includes a paypal logo, µTorrent has no such rubbish and doesn't require installation.

Bitcomet has features that I would consider "bulky", such as web browsing and chat capabilities.

Bitcomet uses 15 megabytes of memory idle, µTorrent is currently using 2.6 megabytes of memory on my computer with 7 torrents seeding.

When using DHT and ipfilter.dat, µTorrent isn't really that light anymore. I'm downloading 7 torrents, DHT is enabled and µTorrent uses 6MB RAM and 17MB Virtual RAM.

The reason why µTorrent is better, is plain simply because the philosophy behind the program. BitComet still sports some usefull features that µTorrent doesn't have, so I'm not sure if µTorrent is better for everyone yet.

Well you could tell your friend this sarcastic advantage uTorrent have...

* BitComet sucks. uTorrent rocks.

Yeah, not very well formed. uTorrent is intended to be a simple yet powerful BitTorrent client with just enough base featureset for the power-users to make the most out of their BitTorrent needs. BitComet's primary focus is likely to be on speed, by which many people would prefer having over anything else. I personally believe speed shouldn't be an issue if you can download at least 20kbyte/s and up. Honestly, what is it with people wanting the fastest download speed? They wanna watch their p0rn that badly? ;)

Bitcomet is 2.6 megabytes to download and 5.36 megabytes uncompressed, µTorrent is currently 98 -107 kilobytes to download and use.

but Bitcomet have detailed internal help, with uTorrent You must parse a half-forum to read all features of uTorrent.

Bitcomet asks to install adware and includes a paypal logo, µTorrent has no such rubbish and doesn't require installation.

Bitcomet asks, not force install. Installing is comfortable thing. When you download uTorrent, you must create folder, place uTorrent in it, download language file, rename it and place in right folder, and all this - by hand.

Bitcomet uses 15 megabytes of memory idle, µTorrent is currently using 2.6 megabytes of memory on my computer with 7 torrents seeding.

I can setting up, that Bitcomet will be use 500 mb of RAM as file cache, and seeding many torrents without troubles with hdd or cd or even fdd.

So, where is real advantages? not IMHO advantages?

So, in additinal I can show examples of advantages uTorrent and BitComet:

1. uTorrent is more informational. Information is readable and well-placed, BitComet also show info good (better than BitSpirit or AZ), but uTorrent is best

2. BitComet have not superseed mode, but uTorrent's superseed mode IMHO work not very well yet

3. BitComet have not command line support

4. uTorrent grows very quick and in right path, and i guess that it will be world best client in near future.

5. uTorrent have some useful features, like adding peers by hand, edit tracker info online, sorting in all windows and tabs for better reading, Language pack (for translate all dialogs on any language), many options on completion work

6. BitComet have more readable information in tray.

7. Bitcomet have customized extention for uncompleted file - it is very usefull to check completed files in multi-file torrents. For example, if I download torrent with 20-30 video or music, I can browse folder by explorer and simple run completed files with correct extention. Very good feature.

8. Bitcomet have customized event for double-click on torrent.

9. BitComet have great workabout file cache for every torrent

10. uTorrent have quick-change for up/down streams limit by right-click on tray

11. BitComet have more friendly GUI for options, uTorrent have many options in one window without contects help

Most of BitComet advantages in the more friendly GUI and usability.

Most of uTorrent advantages in the functionality.

I think, that firendly GUI is very important, and uTorrent will have it in near future. Create good-working functional client is harder work, then creating client with simple nice GUI, but after functional uTorrent must enchance it's GUI in usability, settings control and help systems.

Bitcomet is 2.6 megabytes to download and 5.36 megabytes uncompressed' date=' µTorrent is currently 98 -107 kilobytes to download and use.[/quote']

but Bitcomet have detailed internal help, with uTorrent You must parse a half-forum to read all features of uTorrent.

ehm, wrong, there is an extensive FAQ for µTorrent.

Bitcomet asks to install adware and includes a paypal logo' date=' µTorrent has no such rubbish and doesn't require installation.[/quote']

Bitcomet asks, not force install. Installing is comfortable thing. When you download uTorrent, you must create folder, place uTorrent in it, download language file, rename it and place in right folder, and all this - by hand.

Are you lazy or what :P

When installing a program it creates registry keys, which is bad for people who

doesn't reinstall windows once per month :P

Anyway, how much should you trust a program that has adaware, I wouldn't trust BitComet.

Also, even if you don't choose to install adaware, there are those mysterious call-home's to

chinese ip-ranges that is often used by chinses hackers ;)

Bitcomet uses 15 megabytes of memory idle' date=' µTorrent is currently using 2.6 megabytes of memory on my computer with 7 torrents seeding.[/quote']

I can setting up, that Bitcomet will be use 500 mb of RAM as file cache, and seeding many torrents without troubles with hdd or cd or even fdd.

So, where is real advantages? not IMHO advantages?

ok, sure, with todays fast computers it might not cause problems for

some people when a BT program take that much resources,

but do you really want to waste so much for a BT program ;)

Whats give µTorrent the advantage is its small footprint,

it takes so little resources (0-2% cpu and 2-4MB memory(6 MB with the ipfilter)) +

it isn't bloated with unnecessary things like in BitComet and Azureus.

The key advantage for me is it's small footprint. My system is more stable and I can do a lot more as if it wasn't even there. Instead of having a dedicated box for p2p (like a lot of people choose to do) I can safely run it for extended periods of time with my other apps without worrying that my server is going to go down because of memory leaks and whatnot. And being feature packed I'm not missing out on any significant functionality. While I don't have all the geeky perks, I have a simple yet powerful environement that I can easily understand and tailor to my specific needs.

Yeah, there is an extensive FAQ for µTorrent. It's up to 78 questions now, or something... I updated it a few days ago, it'll match the latest version (1.2.1) and the new stuff added to it.

It explains just about everything you'd need to know about µTorrent. :)

^^If that was u who updated the DHT info, great job. Especially about creating torrents with DHT disabled. Good stuff.

telling him about low mem usage should be enuff to get him to try it out. Him switching will depend on how much he wants/needs other features that uT doesnt have. Me personally, I could live with just 1.1.7.2. But they keep making uT so much better.......

Are you lazy or what :P

I am impartiality for giving estimation value for advantages

When installing a program it creates registry keys, which is bad for people who

doesn't reinstall windows once per month :P

When you firstrun uTorrent it also creating registry keys. You so lazy to know that?

In additional never reinstall my windows, except upgrading from old versions.

Anyway, how much should you trust a program that has adaware, I wouldn't trust BitComet.

Trust in what? It function to download torrents forks fine.

ok, sure, with todays fast computers it might not cause problems for

some people when a BT program take that much resources,

but do you really want to waste so much for a BT program ;)

YES

If I got many peers, every downloading his own segment, and I have 1 gb of memory, I want to use memory more, than make a hardwork on HDD.

Alwo bitcomet can use range of memory, not static buffer, and automatically increase or decrease amount of memory to use.

Whats give µTorrent the advantage is its small footprint,

it takes so little resources (0-2% cpu and 2-4MB memory(6 MB with the ipfilter)) +

it isn't bloated with unnecessary things like in BitComet and Azureus.

What is unnecessary things?

I uses bitcomet and never feeling that it disturb me by loading cpu or memory (I have simple computer, p4-2.x/1gb mem)

I know that, I am only talk about amount memory used for cache in bitcomet - in it, cache size automatical increases or decreases too.

In a general, all torrent clients must have all functionality for torrents-standarts. And difference must be not in basic features, but in cosmetics, in firendly usability, in comfortable for differents tasks.

IMHO many people from forum want to see uTorrent as very ascetic client - i think it is bad idea.

uTorrent already very friendly client, and I think it must developing in this way.

Of course every feature must be discussed, but don't drop away good ideas only for economize some kbytes of .exe file or memory.

Archived