µtorrent Vs. Bitcomet

hofshi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give a list on the advantages:

Small footprint: You can download the program in (a) second(s).

Low memory usage: You can have it running without noticing.

No install required: You can bring the program with you without needing to reconfigure it on another computer.

Very good overview: You don't have to doubleclick the torrent to see information as in Azureus and you don't need to check the various tabs as in BitComet.

Compatible with gtsdll: You can easily get a list of what you're downloading/seeding in IRC.

There are many more features that makes it superior to any other client, but these are the ones I can think of right now

Edit: And I see no difference at all speedwise between µTorrent and BitComet. I easily max out my connection on any wellseeded torrent

When using DHT and ipfilter.dat, µTorrent isn't really that light anymore. I'm downloading 7 torrents, DHT is enabled and µTorrent uses 6MB RAM and 17MB Virtual RAM.

12 torrents, dht enabled on 2 of them, ipfilter.dat used, and i get 2,5 mb on both regular and virtual memory here.

Edit: And I see no difference at all speedwise between µTorrent and BitComet. I easily max out my connection on any wellseeded torrent

Ditto. At this stage I see no reason to use another client, it does everything I need it to and does it well enuf well enuf for me. ATM im seeding 4 torrents and dling 2 and my bw is maxed and everything is running smooth as silk.

When installing a program it creates registry keys' date=' which is bad for people who

doesn't reinstall windows once per month :P[/quote']

When you firstrun uTorrent it also creating registry keys. You so lazy to know that?

In additional never reinstall my windows, except upgrading from old versions.

sure, the association makes an registry key, but installation makes more keys, for example because it must

know what files belongs to a program so it can do an uninstall in the future.

Anyway' date=' how much should you trust a program that has adaware, I wouldn't trust BitComet.[/quote']

Trust in what? It function to download torrents forks fine.

sure, the program works fine, I didn't complain about its ability to download, but the fact it contains adaware +

reports that it makes strange calling home to chinese ip-ranges known to be often used by chinese hackers.

ok' date=' sure, with todays fast computers it might not cause problems for

some people when a BT program take that much resources,

but do you really want to waste so much for a BT program ;)[/quote']

YES

If I got many peers, every downloading his own segment, and I have 1 gb of memory, I want to use memory more, than make a hardwork on HDD.

Alwo bitcomet can use range of memory, not static buffer, and automatically increase or decrease amount of memory to use.

right, so you think its ok its eating resources just because your computer can handles, if so why use µTorrent go back to BitComet instead :P

Whats give µTorrent the advantage is its small footprint' date='

it takes so little resources (0-2% cpu and 2-4MB memory(6 MB with the ipfilter)) +

it isn't bloated with unnecessary things like in BitComet and Azureus.[/quote']

What is unnecessary things?

I uses bitcomet and never feeling that it disturb me by loading cpu or memory (I have simple computer, p4-2.x/1gb mem)

same as I said above, use BitComet if it doesn't matter to you if its eating your resources.

right, so you think its ok its eating resources just because your computer can handles, if so why use µTorrent go back to BitComet instead :P

If you will read my messages intently, you can find, that I post difference between two clients, withous bias.

uTorrent have one big advantage - it developing very quick, and I guess to wait till it is best torrent client.

WIth My discussion I try to aim developers in this way. (of course only at IMHO vision of best client :)

I try to show You back side of advantages, that you bring as examples of uTorrent's advantages.

For example, I did not understand, why presence of internal GUI manager of ipfilter.dat take not consider as advantage and good feature (there are separate topic about it). majority say, that it feature only waste space and bring speed of uTorrent down. Nonsens..

So, try to discuss with arguments, I am smart, I will try to understand you minds ;)

Sorry for terrible english.

--

Sergey Kulik aka Saboteur

When you firstrun uTorrent it also creating registry keys. You so lazy to know that?

In additional never reinstall my windows' date=' except upgrading from old versions.[/quote']

sure, the association makes an registry key, but installation makes more keys, for example because it must

know what files belongs to a program so it can do an uninstall in the future.

I see that you like to reinstall windows every month in spite of uTorrent did not require installation ;)

Do not install every program you see, and registry will be OK. (it was joke about what you like ;)

I never said that I reinstall windows every month nor did I say I install and uninstall programs often ;)

If you will read my messages intently, you can find, that I post difference between two clients, withous bias.

no you said you didn't mind the eating of resources if you get high download/upload speeds +

you mentioned that BitComet memory automatically increase and decrease. You didn't do a comparison ;) =

YES

If I got many peers, every downloading his own segment, and I have 1 gb of memory, I want to use memory more, than make a hardwork on HDD.

Alwo bitcomet can use range of memory, not static buffer, and automatically increase or decrease amount of memory to use.

This is turning into a flame war filled with excessive quotes. This is a warning to both of you - trim down those quotes to exactly what you need, lay off the personal attacks, and get back on topic. I'd higly advise that you both go back and edit down some of the quotes as well, since next time I see this thread, I might not be in such a lenient mood.

Only once have i gone back to AZureus (2306) and its still just as bloated as ever, unfortunately µTorrent didnt download a certain torrent very well from lack of tracker peers, and seemed to not find as many DHT peers as AZ did... However, generally speaking, I've totally given up AZ now, I was a convert at version 1172, and now running latest 121 (not beta 3) and its just getting better all the time

Read elsewhere about a dedicated p2p box... Yes, i have one of those, but now with µTorrent running on it, its another USEFUL box, not just a torrent slave download box

ehm, silverfire, why do you hate quote?

We didn't really flame, because no one of us used any bad language or bad attitude against each other or toward µTorrent/BitComet.

And we did stay on topic, we were discussing µTorrent and BitComet,

except for my last post where I made a few comments on saboteur last post.

"don't drop away good ideas only for economize some kbytes of .exe file or memory."

This is how it usually starts, somebody goes "I want feature blah blah" and the dev codes it into the program as a small sacrifice of RAM and space, then when the 100nth feature is coded in, the program looks and behaves like shit.

Nicely put, and I really think that the devs of µTorrent want to make it the best client, and thats pretty difficult if you take all the things it does ALREADY, and start piling on feature requests... Im happy to say, and SEE that it runs on a 486 with 16MB of RAM... now that as a minimum requirement (that works) seems totally obsurd by todays standards!... But if a client thats this feature rich can work with those machine specs... I can only say WOW, and laugh when the requirements of other clients are so totally huge in comparison

Kinda makes my "torrent box" spec machine a little overkill really

AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.5GB DDR333 :lol:

Im happy to say, and SEE that it runs on a 486 with 16MB of RAM... now that as a minimum requirement (that works) seems totally obsurd by todays standards!... But if a client thats this feature rich can work with those machine specs... I can only say WOW, and laugh when the requirements of other clients are so totally huge in comparison

That's one of my machines. :) and I'm still using µT on it for a few things. :)

33Mhz... (and 14Mb of RAM, not 16Mb. :D )

Lets see Az do that. >:)

-- Smoovious

Animorc: GTSdll could easily support Bitcomet is RnySmile cared to listen (if he's even around still). All it takes is to name BitComet's main window class - right now it has no name (which means one is randomly generated by windows). Also, it seems to get encapsulated in a new class while in the tray - another odd issue.

"don't drop away good ideas only for economize some kbytes of .exe file or memory."

This is how it usually starts, somebody goes "I want feature blah blah" and the dev codes it into the program as a small sacrifice of RAM and space, then when the 100nth feature is coded in, the program looks and behaves like shit.

Developers can finished project and did not add any new feature to stay program small and fast. Did you want this?

We discussing about advantages of features, not about how many kb it brings to code.

If feature is worth enought - I think it must be implemented.

Please, did not talk me about generally known things, I am programmer too.

saboteur

Your remark about "If feature is worth enought - I think it must be implemented."

isn't a good idea if you want to keep a client lightweight, which is in fact the primary feature

for µtorrent!

But, I'm not saying that the developers are to stop making the client progress, I'm just

saying that they should be very careful of the impact that every new feature brings to

the program. Also, making a program more efficient is progress aswell you know?

The main reason I'm using µtorrent is that it's a very light client, capable of doing what

most clients do, but without the serious memory occupation and cpu domination.

• 6 years later...

I came across this thread & I realize that I'm quite late in putting my 2 cents. But here goes. I used to use µtorrent when DSL first launched here in India. However, all companies here in India throttle connections ( not just torrents ) as well as give very shitty services even if you're promised 2-8MbPS. When they started off broadband was very good. Now, however, its become horrible. Clients like BitComet actually deliver on the speed front by giving the max available b/w from the ISP to the user which is pretty phenomenal. Its been built for an Asian Audience & I don't blame the west for not understanding the difficulties that we here in Asia face with respect to quality of services that broadband providers don't adhere to in this part of the world!

Archived