super-seed function needs improvement

mezigues

hey all

first of all, let me thank the staff for such a great bittorrent client!

i've been using it for 2 months now and it's become my fav

i'm currently using the version 1.2.1 beta3 on a 1GB RAM Windows XP SP2 and i never had a bug

still, there's somethind bugging me: the super-seed function

i really need it since i release a lot, and the super-seed allows to get other seeds sooner than normal mode (about 700MB uploaded and u have seeds on a 700MB with super-seed, but you'll have to upload about 900MB to get seeds in normal mode)

it's important to me cause as soon as i get seeds, it makes then possible to start seeding something else!

symptoms:

i start seedind a torrent in normal mode: my up speed reaches almost instantly the max limit > perfect

i go to super seed mode: my up rate drops a lot and then just keep fluctuating between 0 and say 70% of the max limit > a lot less perfect

the worst is that it stays at 0kbs up for long times...

i insist on the fact that it's not due to any problem with my comp/connection

(no NAT for me and utorrent is always at max values when i don't use super-seed mode)

honestly: if utorrent had a super-seed mode as efficient as bittornado's one, it really would become the very best client!

could you please add this to the to-do list?

thanks!

One way to do this is to set the option "use more upload slots if upload is < 90% of max", then set the global upload limit, even if it's slightly more than your capacity. If the super-seeding is too slow, it'll add more upload slots.

This only works on swarms with enough peers.

Ya Nite (I know u from ur website and tracker, witch am a member of. Thx for all that good job, btw! ^^ )

I know that and i tried it too, but the fact is am registered on several trackers where everyone has good ratios (and has to) but there's only a few peers on each torrent (as really a lot are added each day)

So i mostly have to deal with 5 to 8 initial peers (there's no interest of super seeding a torrent where there's already other seed)

Also, since i know the peers will stay in seed, I cut my seeding as soon as someone reaches 100%, in order to upload something else

It's still a very good advice u gave, even if it can't help me because of the specific of these private trackers (invite only, ect...)

But I think the super-seed function could be improved since, with the same amount of peers on the same trackers, i would run at upload max with bittornado, for example...

Actually that's the reason why i still often have to use bittornado even thought i'd like to switch to utorrent definately

Super-seeding does seem to have issues if you don't have enough peers. I'm sure that some tweaking could be done (like giving a client 3 pieces to download instead of just 1).

It would be nice to see a client develop a really well thought out and well implemented super-seeding (or better, "First Seeder") implementation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You people with lower speeds when super-seeding, are you really sure that you would get higher speeds with BitTornado (for example) under exactly the same circumstances? Super-seeding is designed to save bandwidth - not necessarily shorten the time it takes to seed a full copy. The nature of super-seeding is blocking and restricting access to pieces other clients wants, and that mechanism makes seeding slow if there's a only a few clients with fast connections in the swarm (which is more likely to happen if it's a small swarm). I'm very suspicious that this forum topic is a non-issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
You people with lower speeds when super-seeding, are you really sure that you would get higher speeds with BitTornado (for example) under exactly the same circumstances? Super-seeding is designed to save bandwidth - not necessarily shorten the time it takes to seed a full copy.

Well, I'll vouch for BT being faster.

Lately I've adopted the following "trick" with a newly-created torrent: I'll start in ordinary seed mode, and bap "Update Tracker" constantly until I get the first peer to show up (and hopefully he's not BitComet) -- I then proceed to avalanche him with as much as he can carry. When several more peers arrive (usually the first peer has several % completed by then), I *THEN* switch to initial-seeding mode. (This ensures that the new peers have a lot of blocks to play with for awhile, rather than some getting bored and restless and leaving the torrent thinking it's broke or that I, the seeder, am going to string them out for weeks at 1k/sec.)

Archived