uTorrent 1.2 working on Windows Vista Beta1 (longhorn)

oliversl

Why can't you use your notebook for Vista? :/ Maybe you can't use Aero Glass, but I can guarantee you that you can use a "Windows 2000-style look" on it (the most simple fallback)...unless you have a really odd/non-standard IGP? :| In that case, one of the many flavors of Linux might still work on it... ;)

I like to maximize what my laptop can do... so that includes running any kind of fancy UI features the OS has. I could dump in WindowBlinds on it tho... but I opted not to. If MS can lessen the load for Aero Glass, then maybe it's possible for the laptop to run. Otherwise, most laptop owners are going to be a little peeved in seeing they cannot upgrade to the latest OS. This particular issue is something that's bugging Intel due to the heavy 3D requirement.

Having used OS X on the laptop, all the effects, sans the graphical glitches from a different graphics chip, worked like a charm and produced no slowdowns. I wasn't able to test QuartzExtreme due to not having the accelerated graphics but window transitions and effects worked. I'm sure that had I gotten the thing to work with accelerated graphics I could do all sorts of things with it, despite having something slower than the Intel GMA900 that's used in the dev-kits. I have doubts on Vista being able to help me do the same with my laptop.

I'm skeptic on Vista being usable on various laptops out there right now, especially the Centrino-certified ones. Yes, classic UI is available. But that's just it. Classic. Even a luna-style theme would be very boring by "today's" standards when other laptops with better integrated graphics can handle Aero Glass with no problem.

The laptop ran XP, OS X, and Linux with no problem. And the thought of not being able to make the most of Vista is disappointing. It was more enjoyable using OS X for what limited time I had. And I fear that I may never be able to use it due to its heavy 3D requirement. On a basic level, I'm sure it'll fly... but what good is that ol' chip if it can't do anything else? (Heck, it ran Guild Wars with rather pitiful framerate -- sub15-20fps)

The best thing about Linux and other varieties of unix is that it's evolving, albeit slowly. The software is going through some changes and I can only hope that the efforts will finally pay off. There's work in making an accelerated X server by which it'll use the 3D chipset for handling virtually all 2D drawing and compositing tasks. In other words, something akin to OS X. However, I haven't heard much of its progress in a long time and I have been out of the loop for whatever software news related to it.

Er, yeah, it looks like that. The only difference between Vista's genuine glass effect and WB is the way it handles transparencies. In WB5, there's an alpha channel but that's about it. The level of alpha determines how much is seen through it. This is unlike Vista's glass effect where the content below it is blurred/fuzzy through the use of the video card's 3D chip.

Archived