How to increase upload slot (not speed) in utorrent ?

EIZO

And generally, you WON'T want to increase your upload slots per torrent because you probably can't upload fast enough to take advantage of it.

Peers often won't upload back to you at all (giving you download from them) unless you're uploading faster to them than most everyone else. And if you split your upload speed between too many upload slots, you probably won't be faster from their point of view at all.

...Unless you have a T-3 line or better, that is. :P

When you're just seeding, it would seem "generous" to upload to lots of people at once with lots of upload slots per torrent...but then it is even more disastrous than when downloading. Only completed pieces of a torrent can be shared, so until you've sent EACH person you're uploading to at least probably 1 MB (or even 4 MB!) then they won't have anything to share to someone else. And if each of your upload slots is only running about 1 KiloBYTE/sec, 1 MB to each of them will take over 17 minutes. (over 1 hour for 4 MB.) You could upload 4 times the max size of the torrent and there would still not be enough out there for people to assemble a complete copy of the torrent, even if nobody left.

"number of upload slots per torrent:" won't help.

I set it over a thousand, but still uploading to just 4-5 IPs in each torrent.

My uplink it not fast, just DSL speed.

In the old ABC, it will split the uplink to nearly everyone even it is just 1kb/s.

In bitcomet, it will upload to 10~20 IPs.

Compare with utorrent it is just 4-5 .....

So how utorrent determine "I will upload to this IP" ?

µTorrent treats the upload slots per torrent value as a maximum to use, not the minimum. If you're not uploading at least 1 KiloBYTE/sec per upload slot, then µTorrent won't allow any more upload slots to be used...even if you told it to! In short, if you have lots of torrents going...then they're probably only allowed 1 upload slot each.

BitComet auto-allows too many upload slots per torrent and is often bad for the torrent's health. Its behavior should not be emulated, but rather avoided.

I see.

Since I don't have much bandwidth, although I open up all my uplink speed, even just one torrent, there will be tens of peer and just 1kb/s upload per peer.

And some people are too stubborn that will ban all slow upload peers.....

It is hostile (even breaks compatibility with the BitTorrent Protocol!) to upload much slower than 1 KiloBYTE/sec per upload slot, that's why I'm suggesting to not do it.

It is better to connect to fewer ips PER torrent and upload to only a tiny handful at once with a low upload slot limit, this way the upload speed PER upload slot is higher and ends up doing something useful. (This is even at the expense of NOT uploading to everyone!)

You'll upload more of the torrent because your connection will be wasting less bandwidth just trying to maintain lots of connections at once. The peers on the torrent should share with each other so they should end up with everything you shared, despite your low upload speed.

Archived