network shuts down after downloading for a little while

teh.godfatha

Quite recently I've been having problems downloading continuously without connection interruption. After starting up Utorrent and downloading, my connection will be perfect for a random amount of time (can be 2-3 hours or 20-30 minutes, different every time), but then everything stops. Utorrent dl and ul speeds flatline at 0, and I cannot surf the web. This also causes the internet to stop working for the rest of the wireless network in my house ( my parents & sister, who dont download anything, they just browse the web.) To fix the network, I have to unplug both the router and modem. This problem first occured when I was using BitLord a few weeks ago, and it happened out of the blue. (i have been using torrents for well over a year with no problems.) Then I got smart and started using Utorrent, which seemed to fix the problem, but it happened again. I have no idea what is causing this to happen. Heres what I've done and my network specs:

router: D-Link DI-524

modem: whatever my ISP, RoadRunner, gave us

PC: IBM something or other

wireless desktop card: D-Link DWL-G510

Utorrent settings: (im using Utorrent v1.6.1)

I use port 46622, and its fowarded correctly,Global max connections: 150

max # of connected peers: 90

# of ul slots per torrent: 4

I have disabled DHT and UPnP (due to advice given on other threads on forums from other people's problems), upload speed limited to 40kB/s

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How fast is your connection? What do you have net.max_halfopen set to, and if you've ever patched TCPIP.sys, what is/was the limit set to?

D-Links are known to be problematic with too many connections, so you might want to lower the global maximum number of connections to something like 60 (?) to see if the problem persists.

my net.max_halfopen is set to 8, and ive never patched TCPIP.sys (im not sure how to). when i did the speed test, my connection speed was around 4000k and i think roadrunner is rated at 6,500k, so im a little worse than everyone else using it. my wireless connection is 54 Mbps, though

An upload bandwidth of 300 kilobits/sec max cannot upload at 40 KiloBYTES/sec. Even its theoretical max is only 37.5 KilBYTES/sec...with probably more like 30-33 KiloBYTES/sec usable after figuring in TCP/IP + BitTorrent protocol overheads. This overload might partially explain your network shut down.

Your wireless connection is fast enough that it shouldn't be an additional bottleneck speed-wise to µTorrent's ability to access the internet at full speed...but it may limit the max number of ip-to-ip connections you can have going at once. Wireless is just "weak" that way. :(

yeah its working now, so hopefully it wont stop. ill let you know in the morning how it goes (its 12:15 am eastern time here). limiting the global connections has seemed to cause my download speeds to climb up real slowly, maybe even limiting them.

Thank you for all the help. i really do appreciate it.

**ok so that seemed to work last night. i'll see if it can go for more than 4 hours today... and was there anything i needed to change with the net.max_halfopen setting?

***dang, it stopped working again.

Have you tried just resetting your computer OR router OR modem but not the others to see if the network comes back to life again?

If turning the router off then on again 'fixes' things, chances are you've got a dud router.

Ditto for modem.

If it's your computer, it could just be a software driver problem or (going) bad network card.

Archived