Playing nicely with others

mandom74

I'm new to this whole downloading thing and don't understand have the things I've read. One thing I do understand is that seeders are good and leaches are bad. :-)

So, since I want to play well with others I want to make sure I'm not making inadvertent mistakes.

First, once I've downloaded something I can't remove it from the download window if I want it to continue seeding correct? So if I delete it from that window it's no longer available for upload to others. Is there any way to get around this? Having completed DLs in my screen grates on my anal-retentive nerves. :-)

Second, I have limited HD space so typically when I DL something I would then burn it to CD/DVD and delete it from my HD. But, if I do that it won't seed for others even if I leave it in the download window correct? So, since I can't leave things on forever or I'll run out of space, is there a length of time that would be acceptable to leave it up before I delete it? For example, if I delete it immediately I'm going to utorrent hell but if I leave it for a week I earn my wings? Any recommendation for finding a balance between playing nice with others and not eating up my entire HD?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm going to keep reading...

mandom74, just have a look at your "ratio" column. 1.000 means you downloaded exactly as much as you uploaded. So, if your torrent is at 0.200 you should still seed for a while and give back. But,its more important to help seeding dying torrents than torrents which still have lots of seeders.

And, you can remove finished torrents from your list. Dont bother. (use F7 category list to better keep track of your torrents).

Ah, the ratio column is a great guide, thanks. That's what I'll use as a guide. And yes, there are a few things I'm downloading that are gasping their last breath so I'll hold onto those for longer (if they ever get downloaded at all - I have one that's expected to be done in 9 weeks! :-D).

i just started doing this torrent thing so i apologize for my ignorance. on a basic level i understand that this is a way to download video, audio, etc. posted by others. initial attempts to download movies have been somewhat successful and viewing several forums i have noticed that being a 'leech" is a bad thing. from what i've read, once you've finished downloading what you want you should leave it available for others, otherwise you are considered a leech. i have no problem with this but i have no idea how to do this. do i just refrain from deleting the torrent? do i have remain online? can i turn off my pc? please advise.

Archived