Utorrent won't open

TammyIsBlessed

The first time I tried downloading a file via Utorrent, I kept getting an error message saying "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" and the download would stop. So, I was going to come ask about that problem.

However, now I have another problem - it won't even open at all! Instead I get an error message that says "It seems like UTorrent is already running but not responding. Please close all Utorrent processes and try again."

I have Vista and ZoneAlarm Security Suite. At the time I experienced the first problem I was using AVG virus software, after I switched to Zone Alarm is when I experienced the 2nd problem. I've checked my ZoneAlarm settings and it's set to be "OK" for utorrent.

Please help!

My problem is identical and i only started using zone alarm but cant think if the problem started before or after,chances are you wont get any help here as all they will say is upgrade to 1.7.2 but no thanks ,by the way am using 1.6.1 and i was told no support is no longer given for that build meaning either upgrade or zilch, i got this from another forum today while at work but have not tried it yet but its worth a try,ps i also have Vista home premium

"ya, I was having a similar problem, I think it has to do with delayed disk writes and the cache... The program cache's writes and so does the OS and thus the process hangs. My issue cleared up when I checked every box on the advanced, disk cache sub-section except the very top one, 'Override auto cache size.' << this was the only box left unchecked..."

About the inability to open... Restart your computer...? How long are you waiting since your previous exit of µTorrent before you try opening it again?

As for the inability to open files, get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, File > Save, then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here.

Ultima - I have restarted my computer. Still the same error message. I've thought about uninstalling and reinstalling - but it's not even in my list of programs to uninstall! And when I try to delete it from my desktop it says I don't have permission to do that.

It's been a LONG time since I exited uTorrent. It says another one is running, but it's not in task manager.

I figured out what was causing my problem after reading several threads in different forums from people who were having the same problem it became clear the 2 major things we all had in common was vista and zonealarm, so i uninstalled zonealarm and everything is back to normal

Archived