µTorrent 1.2.1

ludde

I compiled a Torrent Program using the Libtorrent and with some blackmagic it get a 300 k executable..

But it use the boost libary , with some Hard Voodoo MAgic, e can remove the boost and get a 50 k client !

But witout all this fancy features in utorrent, witout DHT ....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmm.. strange.. Anything I can do to fix the toolbar and status icons?

What version did you upgrade from? And are you using a custom set of icons? and if so' date=' is that custom set up to date with the current version?

-- Smoovious[/quote']

I upgraded from 1.2.1 beta3. No, I wasn't using custom, I did try to, but that, too, wasn't shown. I switched back to 1.2.1 beta3 and both default and custom icons are displayed correctly. I erased the custom ones and am now using defaults, but I can't see toolbar/status icons in 1.2.1.

Change: Don't scrape stopped torrents.

I liked the fact that it scraped the stopped torrents when I first started the program. That way I could tell how many seeds/peers on the line and if I needed to start up the seeding somewhere. One of the things I liked about Azureus too.

Oh well, I seemed to have been able to enable it again in the advanced options - see how it goes.

Windows (& OS's in general) has a max for an entire pathname (including the filename and drive).... you should ensure that the legth of the full path of any file (with all it's subdirs etc) is kept under this max value....

Try downloading the torrent to the root of a drive (or a folder named 'a')... it just might be the cause of your problem....

Besides that it may be that the large folder just takes a long time to examine....

It's not working for me. It can't add this torrent: http://rainbowtables.shmoo.com/lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space.torrent

Could it be because that torrent is 3-1/2 megabytes in size?

>digs around in the file<

Ok, I found these:

:filesld6

:lengthi702429297e4

:pathl60

:lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space#1-7_0_15200x67108864_0.rt.gzeed6

:lengthi702423734e4

:lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space#1-7_0_15200x67108864_1.rt.gzeed6

:lengthi702422915e4

:lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space#1-7_0_15200x67108864_2.rt.gzeed6

:lengthi702418096e4

:lm_alpha-numeric-symbol32-space#1-7_0_15200x67108864_3.rt.gzeed6

:lengthi702416916e4

... and more of the same type... later, I find these:

:piece lengthi262144e6

:pieces3597200

:<binary data begins here>

Dude... this is an insanely big torrent, obviously made by someone who has no idea what he's doing...

Piece length is 256k... and has over 3.5 MILLION pieces?!?

(edit: I'm probably not reading the pieces value correctly, notepad isn't the best thing to use for looking at .torrent files, but even taking into account the stray bits, that's still a lot of pieces...)

The torrent itself is over 3.5Mb... the overhead for this torrent would be insane!

Something this size should have the piece size set to maximum...

You're not going to be able to download this torrent... best thing you can do is to contact the person

who submitted it and tell him to submit a new torrent with a little sanity in it.

-- Smoovious

According to ludde, µTorrent 1.2.1 refuses to load torrents with more than 65535 pieces. Tell the torrent maker to not be retarded and use a proper piece size!

Hmm, anything significant about that number?

Btw Smoovious, I presume you mean 3.5Gb and not Mb ;)

According to ludde' date=' µTorrent 1.2.1 refuses to load torrents with more than 65535 pieces. Tell the torrent maker to not be retarded and use a proper piece size![/quote']

Hmm, anything significant about that number?

Btw Smoovious, I presume you mean 3.5Gb and not Mb ;)

No, I think he means the .torrent file is 3.5Mb as it has a small piece size and has an insane amount of piece checksums in it. This would be making uTorrent fall over if it only likes 65535 pieces maximum.

Thinking about it uTorrent would need to keep at least that 3.5 Mb in memory, as well as the pieces it's currently downloading, etc, thus making this torrent have a potential overhead of 10Mb+. For a slim client like uTorrent that's a fair amount. That's a theoretical minimum. Practically it's likely to be much more.

It's also an insanely stupid way to make a torrent.

65535 pieces (16-bit) should be more than enough for any torrent. When you're downloading 30Gb, what's a 500Kb failed piece? Nothing! Using a 32-bit piece index would only increase uTorrent's memory and for what, like, 1% of torrents? Less?

--- 2005-11-25: Version 1.2.2 (build 345)

- Fix: Fixed lockup when deleting a torrent.

- Fix: Center torrent properties on the main window

- Fix: Fixed rare DHT crash bug.

- Change: Show a warning message if there were problems loading a user defined language file.

...Hmm, anything significant about that number?...

YES as a matter of fact...it equals hex ffff...he biggest number you could express with 16 Bit

(you might look up unsigned integer if you'd need to know more about this )

if you would add hex0001 to this number in 16 bit precision would give you hex0000

So you would have to use 32 Bit precision = hex 0000 ffff + 0000 0001 = hex0001 0000 (normally written without the space in the middle)

Of course now all of your tables, matrixes and arrays would have to be in 32bit precision as well

For a program like µtorrent a useless waste of ressources...just because 1 or 2 ppl are not able to pick a decent block size??

You can pretty much assume that a programmer, able to create such a great little program, picks the right frame for his variables

:D

-DG

ehm, shouldn't the main page be updated, the announcement of 1.2.2 is just an ordinary text,

not a link + a thread about 1.2.2 should be created in this section with the changelog like

it has been done with other releases.

btw, what is the max size a torrent can have with 65535 pieces? I mean not the .torrent but what you download ;)

Archived