Newbie needing help with setting up uTorrent

giski2004

I can't get uTorrent to work. I'm not a technical type and need assistance. I've sent out email to tech support but they don't help port issues. I tried to follow the portfoward.com help but I don't understand it. I don't know how to set up my port finder info. Please help.

Greetings and thank you for your reply. I am not sure how to find out that information on my router/modem. My choices of machine are either my Gateway XP laptop at home on a dial up (Netzero ISP) or my Dell XP workstation at my job with a T-1 LAN connection (i think). The firewall says "windows firewall" when I open it up in the control panel. Other than this I don't even know how to begin to figure out the settings or what they are. I would provide the info if I could figure it out. Usually our IT guys at work do this stuff for me and this isn't work related- so I'm screwed. Please help.

If it's not work-related but you're even ALLOWED to run µTorrent, then in Speed Guide (CTRL+G) make sure to set it no higher than xx/256k (about 1/6th of the upload speed of a T-1 connection). Beyond that, you may want to disable DHT, detect local peers, and reduce the global and per-torrent max connections µTorrent will make at once.

You'll probably be firewalled even with UPnP enabled, but that's far better than nothing.

At home with dial-up, your best bet is xx/56k in Speed Guide...and even that is outrageous in terms of how many connections it tries to make. :(

You're pretty much damned at work. You won't be able to forward the ports in the router unless they have UPnP enabled, which is unlikely. Not only that, but you're risking your job running applications like µTorrent at work, since it eats their bandwidth, and most companies aren't overly tolerant towards employees running foreign applications on their systems, let alone bandwidth eating apps. You don't have anything to forward ports through at home, so the only thing that will limit your connection is ISP restrictions and/or firewalls.

Thank you "Switeck" Moderator and "nos-slived" member. I will attempt the download and set up at home from the dial up with the xx/56k settings. I appreciate your advice on the work restrictions. I wouldn't have thought of the bandwidth issue. I will contact Netzero my ISP to see if I have restrictions. Thank you both for your assistance.

Archived