utorrent contacts bittorrent.com after install?

Room 101

utorrent just updated itself from 1.2 to 1.2.1 and when 1.2.1 started up for the first time, I told Sysoft Personal Firewall that yes, I want to let utorrent connect to the internet even though the version has changed. This is normal. Then it asks if I want to let C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Temp\utt5.tmp try to launch utorrent to contact remote host router.bittorrent.com. After I told it yes (I assumed bittorrent was trustworthy...now I'm not so sure) it started asking if it could contact other remote hosts or whether it should allow host to contact me. What's the deal?

I doubt it. :P He only said he's working on removing the copyrighted stuff from the search, never said anything about DHT... He has no control over the DHT network, and there's no legal reason for him to close it down (to my knowledge). It's not a search or even a tracker, it's just a node on the DHT network. Seems like a very grey area.

Even if it was taken down, new torrents would just have to specify a single node (or more) for people to integrate into the DHT network, thus bypassing the problem of router.bittorrent.com going down (if it ever does).

And Azureus allows you to specifiy an IP to bootstrap, perhaps it should get added to µTorrent.

Besides, we could always move to the Azureus implementation ;)

well Brahm owns bittorrent.com and DHT is about distrobuting hash table,

I think mpaa can do some spying by using the tracker.

Ehm, he controlls the DHT network because he owns the router.bittorrent.com.

which mean the DHT network can't be used until someone replace router.bittorrent.com,

because can router.bittorrent.com really be trusted now when mpaa can control it:P?

Archived