Port forwarding problem

lzrdkng82

Ok, so I've followed the port forwarding guide implicitly. Including setting up a static IP.

My problem is that I'm still getting the dreaded red exclamation mark, and when i test if the port is forwarded properly - it isn't.

I've tried and re-tried forwarding different ports, going through the whole process over and over again. Still no luck.

I'm not a n00b, and have had no problem forwarding ports in the past, but this is driving me insane! Any ideas appreciated!

Router: Netgear DG834GT

Anything else you need to know?

Cheers

Since you've forwarded ports in the past (for the same router I presume), you should be doing fine there. Try deleting and recreating the rules nevertheless once.

Also, any firewalls or software like PeerGuardian or Antivirus programs running on your machine?

ajones81

Actually it was a different router, but thanks for your help. I disabled the comodo firewall I was running and immediately got the green light :)

This is annoying, as i had already created firewall rules in comodo for utorrent, but hey, we got to the root of the problem!

I'm annoyed that i didn't try that before posting!

My only problem now is that I'm not firewalled! So (I hope this isn't classed as off topic!) does anyone know of any lightweight firewalls that won't hinder utorrent?!

If your router is only forwarding the 1 port that µTorrent listens for incoming traffic on, then you ARE still firewalled otherwise by the router. But many threats come through nowdays using IE security holes via websites you (un?)intentionally visit. And there may also be someone who gets on your network via a wireless card and "local" hacking...assuming you have it at least minimally configured to not just allow any computer to connect to it.

Archived