windows update

deadringer

hi, for some reason when my torrents are on, when windows update runs the automatic updates, my comp freezes. i have to turn off automatic updates for the freezing to stop occurring. It also happens sometimes when my anti-virus updates its definitions. any ideas on why thats happening? thanks

nope, surfing the internet and having utorrent on doesnt really make my comp freeze.

what makes it freeze is when automatic updates activate and when my antivirus updates.

also utorrent just freezes my computer in general, but capping my download speed to a max of 85kbs seems to have stopped the freezing.

i have done everything on the troubleshooting list except the patch, is the patch really that important?

hi thanks for the reply.

well i have updated my network card driver and my comp still freezes. i decided to reinstall windows xp. it was going fine but i while i was watching a video while downloading torrents it froze again. i checked the event viewer and it had the tcpip error :

Warning

Event Source: Tcpip

Event Category: None

Event ID: 4226

Date: 8/12/2007

Time: 11:19:06 AM

User: N/A

Computer: PAT-B630A3587B6

Description:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.

0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ......

0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

i decided to patch it now and set my limit to 50. problem is now when i shut off or reboot, i get freezes on the xp loading screen (the part with the blue bars moving). i have to click the restart button to get out of there and i will have to reset 4-5 times until it successfully loads and gets me to desktop.

any ideas?

EDIT: i uninstalled the patch and my system boots up normally again. is my computer for some reason not compatible with the tcpip patch?

UPDATE: Computer froze when antivirus checked for updates again...a lot of tcpip errors on event log but none at the time of the freeze (no errors at the time of freeze)

wow that totally sucks :(

yeah, my old computer never had problems like this. this one was made from scratch, maybe i did something wrong...but everything else is fine.

well maybe i will just have to suck it up. it freezes about once or maybe twice a day so ill just reset it and load torrents again.

thanks for your help guys :)

Archived