Writelock should be released when seeding files

Timwi

If a torrent is in the middle of downloading, µTorrent will keep an exclusive lock on the file, which makes sense because it is writing to the file.

When the file finishes downloading, unfortunately µTorrent keeps that exclusive lock, preventing all other applications from reading the file. This is unnecessary because at this point µTorrent only needs to read from the file. It could make do with a shared lock, thus allowing other applications to read from the file as well.

It would be nice if it was possible to (for example) watch a video file while still seeding it. Currently I would have to quit µTorrent and stop seeing. I believe this is somewhat severe because this shortcoming encourages everyone to stop seeding as soon as they need their file. Presumably more people would continue seeding if they could.

Thanks for listening!

It would be nice if it was possible to (for example) watch a video file while still seeding it. Currently I would have to quit µTorrent and stop seeing.

Cannot reproduce here, I'm able to watch even uncompleted files while they are still downloading. However I'm using Haali Media Splitter for AVI instead of the Windows embedded splitter.

Archived