UPNP fails in all stable 1.7.* releases tried to build 1.7.2 3458

TK1

I have noticed XP SP2 UPNP framework crash or cease functioning with certain router types... Netgear seem to impliment the M-SEARCH only style discovery but fail to honour the admin setting to periodically re-broadcast its presence, while XP SP2 seems more than happy with announce only routers. WIN98/SE/ME implimentation of IGD UPNP framework seems a bit more sturdy oddly enough.

Yup had a read up on the NAT-PMP spec afiter seeing it in one of the utorrent upgrades I tried a while back... A much lighter weight protocol on both ends but not very well supported in generic ADSL or cable modem/routers.

If we are realistic though, since Microsoft own the patents on UPNP and the ultimate specifications, that one would expect Microsoft to impliment their supported UPNP frameworks according to their own specifications.... Therefore if a particular brand of router breaks when used on the official licensed UPNP framework then it's the routers unofficial and probably unlicensed implimentation that should be regarded as broken.

I suspect, though have not tried, that if one is using one of these broken M-SEARCH only routers that drop off the MS UPNP framework radar after a few to tens of mins of a workstations network connectiion going live, that issuing a fresh M-SEARCH manually and renewing the subscription to the IGD via the MS UPNP API after or before the devices timeout occurs would let the framework see the IGD again.

• 1 month later...

Newsflash! lol... After a speculative update to 1.7.5 and it re enabling UPNP within utorrent (as opposed to the external workaround mentioned elsewhere in this thread) I was much supprised to see utorrent discover my 3com officeconnect IGD and map ports correctly!

Since there was no mention of reworking the UPNP in the rel notes I loaded earlier 1.7 itterations and they all worked! I am unsure if this was a windows firewall or routers firewall phrase filter glitch, since Utorrent is now using 2 listening ports, the standard TCP/UDP bittorrent protocol port and the UDP multi-cast originating, unicast listening port used for UPNP that it needs to either make a catch all trusted app type exception in any given firewall to permit it to be a server on any port or if a tad more locked down to have both used ports opened in the PC's personal firewall. Other than that I have no idea why it suddenly started working, no frimware or config changes on the IGD. Go figure!

Archived