Possible memory leak

jibba

With 1.20 I noticed the memory being used by utorrent was constantly growing. Here is an image after leaving it running a few days:

utorrent9qw.jpg

I switched back to the previous version and the problem disappeared. I've upgraded to the latest 1.2.1, and after a few hours it's already at 72Mb. I have set the diskio.flush-files to true. I'm using Windows XP with an Athlon64 and 1024Mb RAM.

Surely someone else is experiencing this too? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

A screenshot of µTorrent would be nice, since the task manager tells us nothing useful that you couldn't easily say with text.

utorrent20ku.th.jpg

utorrent 1.2.1 has been running for about 18 hours now, and the RAM/VM usage now is 373Mb/372Mb. I don't think my torrent activity is anything out of the normal, I usually have up to 10 torrents seeding and maybe 1 or 2 downloading.

Could it be due to DHT? In the status bar it says "DHT: 261 peers (Updating)"

With 1.20 I noticed the memory being used by utorrent was constantly growing. Here is an image after leaving it running a few days:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6341/utorrent9qw.jpg

I switched back to the previous version and the problem disappeared. I've upgraded to the latest 1.2.1, and after a few hours it's already at 72Mb. I have set the diskio.flush-files to true. I'm using Windows XP with an Athlon64 and 1024Mb RAM.

Surely someone else is experiencing this too? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I get exactly the same problem with memory usage.

In case it matters, this is a brand new install of Windows XP Pro (32bit) Service Pack 2, Autopatcher November applied.

Running Protowall, Spybot S&D Teatimer, Avast home, NVidia integrated firewall.

NForce 3, A64 3000+, 1GB Ram DDR400

The memory used by utorrent keeps climbing and has reach over 150MB.

Trying to close the client results in cpu usage of 100% and it takes a long time to close, sometimes it never closes.

one of the svchost.exe and the wmiprvse.exe service use up the 100% cpu between them when I try and close utorrent. Killing utorrent manually returns the cpu usage to normal.

This part of the behaviour has been present since around 1.1.6 release ish.The longer utorrent has been left running, the longer it takes to close down. Its fairly fast to close it if it has just been started (takes a few seconds).

Before I reinstalled windows, I had the same problem with memory use and 100% cpu when trying to close down so its either related to the patches I apply or is a problem with utorrent.

The PC is rock stable under some very extreme operating conditions and is nearly never switched off :D

Well I disabled DHT in the preferences and the memory immediately dropped to less than a meg, and now 12 hours later is still sitting at 3mb. If I enable it, I can watch the memory use constantly rising in task manager.

Can anyone confirm this please?

jibba, do you have a firewall? make sure UDP isn't blocked by it if you do.

Getthings, try disabling/uninstalling (uninstall preferred) your nvidia firewall and turn DHT on... can you do this test?

'cause I seriously remember a memory leak EXACTLY like this with the nvidia firewall on another program.

Edit: it is most DEFINITELY an nVidia firewall bug. I've added this to the FAQ, you MUST disable the firewall! (you can turn DHT back on if you do)

http://forum.emule-project.net/lofiversion/index.php/t86089.html

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t2682.html

Are you absolutely sure the nvidia firewall is disabled? It might work on other network interfaces anyway (it's a software firewall I think). I do believe it's installed along with the nForce drivers. :/

Can you try disabling NetLimiter too and turning UDP back on to see if there's any difference?

with nvidia firewall disabled, DHT enabled memory used is 16MB and rising

edit: that was left running for the half hr. memory use went quickly up to 10,500K and stayed for a while. It did the same at13,500K and then rose to 16,000K+ where it is sat again.

ps

The NVidia firewall will never install if the nvidia network interface is turned off in the CMOS,

Once installed, it does work on both interfaces. I'm using it on the Marvell Gigabit ethernet port on my board.

Archived