Checked status upon startup

grm

I have utorrent 1.6.My computer freezes up sometimes and I have to hit the reset button to reboot it.When I start utorrent again it goes through the checked status on every file I'm downloading.I looked in options>preferences>advanced for bt.graceful_shutdown so I could see if it's set to true but I don't see it there.Whenever I just stop and start utorrent it starts downloading the file normally.Should I be trying to find out why I don't see bt.graceful_shutdown in options>preferences>advanced or could the checking problem be in the computer freezing and cold boot?

It does, otherwise everyone would be having the same problem as you. So it must be something hardware-specific (your disk writes aren't fast enough or the tracker didn't respond fast enough maybe? no idea...)

That's already what a non-graceful shutdown attempts to do (it forces an exit after 10 seconds, which should be enough for Windows to leave it alone, as the default is something like 20 seconds before forcing exit).
Given identical situations (number of connections, amount of data in the cache, etc), graceful shutdown would probably take longer to exit because it waits for things to complete gracefully, like checking for proper tracker response and stuff.

I guess your system is not doing the needful within those 10 seconds, eh?

My computer froze again last night and upon rebootiong it still went through the checked status on every file I was downloading,so the problem is in my computer freezing and not utorrent preferences I believe.So much for an easy workaround :)

• 3 months later...

i have the problem of the checked status on startup, and chekcing each file takes a VERY VERY long time, much longer than the DL would, so i tried graceful shutdown, and that just made it so that when i closed utorrent, it disapeared but was still runing in my processes list, unable to be terminated, causing me to have to reboot, leading to the same checked status problem. im new to all of this and need help

I think at least with my setup its all the offline trackers which would cause a problem... Correct me if I'm wrong, but with graceful_shutdown enabled, it attempts to announce event=stopped to each tracker listed for each started torrent... Not obtaining a message from ANY of these trackers could cause uT to stay in memory indefinitely?

If this is the case, perhaps "connection refused" shouldn't keep uT in memory?

knowing that it takes that long (i am on a very slow laptop because im in a hospital bed in my room for 6 weeks) should i turn graceful shutdown on and then just be patient upon exiting? also is it normal, again on a slow comp, for the checked status of like 5 torrents to take upwards of 30-45 minutes?

Sorry about the delay. Well the "Checking" doesn't necessarily depend upon the # of torrents, but the SIZE and piecesize of those torrents' files.

In the restart I was talking about 12 GiB of files took 1:10 hours to complete @ ~ 30 MiBps. If possible and you know you have this problem I would recommend making a new label "Working" for example, and re-labelling and stopping the torrents prior to closing uT. Since I can't reliably make properly working, running torrents recheck due to this "active" flag on close... it's difficult to say there's a problem.

Archived