RSS updater

Branden

i find the RSS Downloader a great feature and use it often to automatically download the shows i miss.

an .xml or .rss file is simple to make, why not have utorrent update an .xml file when a torrent is finished downloading or reached a certain ratio? nothing fancy, just a simple and quick way to notify yourself while at work or on another computer when something is done instead of constantly checking manually or via the WebGUI.

• 1 month later...

it might be better to be able to define a global user function (pref->other) to be activated upon torrent completion (with parameters) . This way you can email yourself the finished file name for example...

I think this was asked for before...

not sure I know what JSON is, but a function will serve well under "heavily firewall protected' systems too ... so I preffer that solution , which is much moe prexible of choosing what you want to do...

And how are you today Ultima ? are you in the 1.8 private beta team Firon was talking about ? ...

I've got classes and stuff sapping some of my time, but other than that, everything's the same ol' same ol' with me :P And yep, I am messing around with 1.8.

---

Heavily-firewalled or not, as long as µTorrent has its relevant ports forwarded properly, any application can read from /gui/?list=1 and parse the output, which is the JSON. Any application means any application -- even applications running local to µTorrent. That application can do the parsing and detecting of when something has been completed, and then write to the suggested XML/RSS file.

People once clamored over a plugin system to do lots of stuff, and even though that's still not gonna happen, I think the webui API opens up lots of doors in that general direction of "let other developers add some functionality." The things possible might not be as extensive as would be possible with a real plugin system, but it gets the job done in many cases -- this situation included. Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to the feature's addition (I don't care one way or another, really ;D), but yeah, just pointing out that the request is doable outside of the official development team. The webui API is much more powerful than many might expect :) It's not limited only to remote control of µTorrent.

Archived