High download speed drops

jer_stud56

Hi there. I've used uTorrent for some time now and I've almost always gotten great download speeds. At home I was getting around 170-200 kBps. I just moved (for college, into a house) and am now getting 350-400 kBps. The problem is, after about 15-20 minutes the connection will drop.

I have a Linksys WRT54GX4 (using wireless!) router hooked up to a motorola surfboard SB5101 modem (cable one ISP). This was happening at both places so I would suspect either my linksys router or my laptop, which is: Windows vista ultimate, 2.0 GHz duo core, 2 GB ram; to be at fault.

Not only does my uTorrent stop downloading/uploading but my internet stops completely and I must disable and re-enable my wireless card (which is an internal Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)

I have no antivirus software, using port 10008 (10000-10010 enabled), net.max_halfopen is at 8

-------------

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 10008 on ...

OK! Port 10008 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

(Also a green checkmark at the bottom)

--------------

And just now found out that it can't be the router because everyone else in the house can still use internet but me, so it must be my internal wireless card. Anything I can do to fix it?

Hi! I had exactly the same problem until yesterday, except that I had to restart my computer to make the connection work again. The problem came from my firewall, I used Ashampoo Firewall... So if you use the same one, install another one and try again... If you use another firewall, try disable it while you download with BT and check if it works ;)

Hope it will help you!

The only firewall I have is on my router, which is the only "protection" I have, and it's been configured to pass through for uTorrent. I searched and found that event ID 4226 which is the half connection issue since XP SP2. Vista didn't do any better...especially wireless. I could download all day with a wired connection but wireless it just shuts down. Restarting does nothing different. Maybe I'll just have to live with it. There's a "fix" but it doesn't even seem to fix anything probably just makes it worse. It deals with editing the TCPIP settings in the registry and changing the half connections to a much much higher number so the connection doesn't randomly quit.

Archived