No Modem or Router and Getting Yellow Triangle

EricS

OK, so I have recently moved up to college and I'm plugged in to the internet through an ethernet cable, straight from laptop to wall. Unfortuantely I'm consantly getting the yellow triangle of doom. Any ideas on how to fix the problem. Thanks.

P.S. I have a bad feeling I'm being uber noob on this...

Lets see, I think I know what your looking for...

IPv4 IP Adress: 10.192.6.66

IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0

IPv4 Defualt Gateway: 10.192.7.254

IPv4 DHCP Server: 139.78.100.12

IPv4 DNS Servers: 139.78.100.1

IPv4 WINS Server: 139.78.100.77

Afraid of that, the only thing I can think of would be to ask the dorm supervisor or w/e what type of router they have and I know how to ford the port from there. Regardless when you type in the default gateway which for me was the IPv4 Default Gateway it should take me to the routers homepage if you will.

P.S. This probably isn't the place to ask this but, perhaps if I tried a different torrent downloader it might not have the same problem? Thanks for the help.

DreadWingKnight beat me to it but he is right. The 10 address is a sure sign you are behind a router. I SERIOUSLY doubt you can get them to change any settings. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they revoked your internet access for even asking. It was only 2 days ago I read that universities are revoking internet access for a week on the first offense of downloading copyrighted material.

One solution would be to pay for a VPN service that allows incoming connections...

P.S. This probably isn't the place to ask this but, perhaps if I tried a different torrent downloader it might not have the same problem? Thanks for the help.

That might work if it was a problem with uTorrent (which it obviously isn't). You're free to try of course, but it would be a veritable miracle if another client did any better given the situation.

Thanks for all the help, don't worry I don't plan walking up to the front desk asking them about anything. I have found that using a more basic p2p program (Limewire) downloads videos just fine. I use it to just download anime that isn't copyrighted yet. Edit: Forgot to add that speeds are just a touch slower than a torrent would be but still very respectable, usually 150+ k/B (not sure if the "k" is lower or capital case).

Archived