Does µTorrent crash for you on startup?

ludde

Does µTorrent crash for you on startup? I got a bunch of crash reports from crashes at startup. They are related to DHT. If you are one of those persons who experienced immediate crashes (within 10 seconds), please post in this thread.

/Ludde

Sanchez addition: You don't need to post if it doesn't crash.

• 1 month later...

after a bit of further personal testing, it has nothing to do with dht.

utorrent will crash after a couple mins of usage and then constantly everytime you start it up after that, azureus does this as well but at least it will run for a few hours at a time before it does this typically

the only thing i can come up with for a solution is there's a mem leak that causes a panic and kills the process. i thought it had to do with the amount of torrents but my laptop was fine with the more torrents. only other thing i can come up with is it's a torrent i'm dl'n but i've removed a lot of the non-active torrents that i dl.

without having an error log i can't really figure out what it is.

i have a router but ports are properly forwarded, i'd be willing to say it's my av but everything worked fine on my laptop, the desktop i'm running it on is only a 333 vs my 1.4gig laptop

the crashing on 2 clients leads me to believe it's an issue with bittorrent itself and not a particular client. i've thought about it being the amount of files i dl but i've had the same if not more being dl'd with emule. i'd tried pausing a few but it still crashed

my other idea is it could be a bad client that's causing it to crash.

i'm more looking at the connection usage of both protocols, both can be bandwidth hogs with little effort. both can be very stressing on the system. i know they're different but they do share similarities

i'd like more to have an error log at least then it could be tracked easier cause right now it's a case of six in one, half dozen in the other

it's mostly a random thing with azureus, like the client will run for a day, an hour or a week with no rhyme or reason, utorrent crashes almost right away or soon after it hashes out the files i'm trying to resume. so it seems more like a program panic for some reason rather than the system itself

actually to make this a bit more developer friendly, i could post and/or email the pid error log from azureus if that would help, as it seems it's something common to both which might help out. actually i got a ton of error logs from azureus when it crashes

i'll probly mail it off to the azureus guys too but figured i'd offer you so you could try and wrap your head around the error itself

from what it looks like in the log it seems to be a dht or socket error more than anything

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

my utorrent crashes after 1 sec or so...that started today..everything worked fine bfore.

Today i had my dsl connection upgraded from 384 to 512 but nothing was changed to the settings or the hardware since all was made from my isp provider.

i oppened utorrent today and after 30 mins or so i noticed that downloading had stopped.i opened up ut from tray to see that it asked me on every dl i had to go and register to the private tracker while i already had.i registered again and dl started again...that happened almost everytime a torrent was 100% downloaded and went on for uploading.

then i decided to close ut and open it again leaving all dls and uls on...when i opened it again it crashed after 1 sec.i closed my intrenet connection, opened ut and it opened fine.then i stopped all dls and uls and started my internet connection again,i re-registered to the private tracker i was dling from and dls continued ok....when i tried to start sum uploads it crashed again.seems to be a prob with uls but it worked fine bfore...jus started today...any ideas??

p.s. also now when i only leave ul on with no dls i hardly get any kbps uling.i always had dht disabled and norton allow ut to connect to the internet...

No, no firewall only norton and i have utorrent in the program control list checked to allow connections.all was fine until yesterday...i didn't change anything in the settings...it jus downloads and after 30-60 mins it stops and asks for me to register to the private tracker i download from...

i noticed that when i have uploads left on when i close ut and then i try to open it, it crashes....when i have no uploads on and i open it, it works but only for the time i said above...

mine does not crash the pc...utorrent just crashes after 1 or 2 secs and goes away like sth prevents it from working....mb i should clear the explorer's cookies or sth i jus dunno...think mb my isp is causing this?i have protocol encryption on just in case but that doesn't seem to do anything...

It crashes for me like 3 seconds after running the program. It does this for the latest stable release and the beta too. Im using bitdefender AV with the firewall off. This just started happening recently after the last update I think it used to work perfect before that and I didn't change anything on my side.

well it must have been a tracker error causing this for me as it doesn't happen any more and prob the crash on startup was caused by the torrents left on for uploading that were from that particular private tracker.The tracker's site was down for a while yesterday and since it worked again all is well!So back to dling :D Thanx for all ur support & keep it up!

Cheers! :cool:

• 1 year later...

all was workin fine until today my father logged on from a different user(on the same pc while my accounte was also logged in) and i noticed that the pc was stuck after sometime. i logged off ma fathers account and logged into mine. opened up u torrent and it got stuk and was usin 100% cpu. but in the task manager no process with 100% cpu existed. the pc was stuck. (i got to know that the cpu was on 100% usage becouse the fan speed) couldnt do anything other than resetin the power button. i hav norton internet security only.i tried reinstalin but it doesnt work, the minute i open up utorrent the system freezes and the cpu fan starts speedin up and i cant do anything else other than pullin the plug...

pls help me out

thers nothin speeder than utorrent. becuz other torrent cliets seem to work fine still. only utorrent has the prob. before this prob everytnin was fine. i cant use anyother client than utorrent.

thanks

Archived