Someone please explain (speed RANT) - because i dont get it !

flexy

For the sake of this thread - just assume that everything (eg. port forwarding, my router, my client) are set up right. Because everything *is* set up right and i dont want to go into detail now :)

The problem is the following:

I download a pretty popular torrent, and seeds are in the HUNDREDS...the torrent is about a week old.

So....i am downloading and i get CRAPPY speeds and this is BEYOND me since i see a list of trackers (which are all up) and i see a LONG list of seeders.

WHY the **** is it that MOST of the seeders only send the stuff with 1 or maybe 2kB/s ?

The ONLY time when i (for THIS particular torrent) get a halfway acceptable speed is when i see ONE seeder having a better rate (like 100kB/s) therefore bringing my whole download (his 100kB/s and all the rest with their '1kB/S added) to a speed like 200kbS.

Ok, now i see ONE (this one guy) seeding with 200, ONE with 14....and so on..and again the rest is BARELY seeing with 1kb/S

HOW does it work (if at all, excuse my stupidity ?) that there are hundreds of seeds...cant i somewhow throw all of them out with speeds below some limit ? Does bittorrent prioritize higher speed seeders ? How can i make sure that i have a number of higher speed seeders and NOT a long list of 1kb/S people or (even better..0kB/S people) in my seeds list ?

I just dont understand the concept of P2P when my speed for THIS torrent MAINLY depends on ONE (!) dude and his speed and why the others are all barely seeding.

As said i am almost positive that all my setup is right, my ports are open and tested, and i am also testing with various clients ranging from utorrent 1.2.1, abc, bitcomet etc..etc.. (NOT at the same time of course :)

"I just dont understand the concept of P2P when my speed for THIS torrent MAINLY depends on ONE (!) dude and his speed and why the others are all barely seeding."

You missed the entire concept of BT then. Everybody can send you pieces normally, not just the one dude with the complete file and a fast upload. Every seed and peer you connect to can send you parts of the torrent, so even if they are uploading very slowly, when put all together it should be rather quick. Maybe that specific torrent is bad in term of seeder\leecher ratio.

"I just dont understand the concept of P2P when my speed for THIS torrent MAINLY depends on ONE (!) dude and his speed and why the others are all barely seeding."

You missed the entire concept of BT then. Everybody can send you pieces normally, not just the one dude with the complete file and a fast upload. Every seed and peer you connect to can send you parts of the torrent, so even if they are uploading very slowly, when put all together it should be rather quick. Maybe that specific torrent is bad in term of seeder\leecher ratio.

you didnt get my point :)

I am very welkl aware that *everyone* out of this list shares and also sends it's part to me.

The QUESTION is why 99% of my speed depend on the fact that ONE (or maybe two) dudes have a fast pump and seed to me with 100, the oither with 50....while ALL THE OTHERS in the list of seeds seed only with 1kb/s or less.

So..basically my speed i am getting a torrent with (at least with THIS torrent) is mainlt dependend on those two guys. If those log off then i can download a 3GB torrent with 30kb/S *max* because all the other people on their have those crappy speeds which add up to barely 30kb or 40kb

Archived