Multiple torrents for one download

Timshel

What happens if you load multiple torrents for the one download?

I know that if you add further identical torrent files uTorrent will allow you to add the trackers from these to the existing download. But recently I added a second Torrent file for an identical set of files, but instead of adding trackers uTorrent treated it as a new torrent. So I pointed it to the same download folder as the first torrent to see what would happen - it simply checked the existing parts and proceeded to start downloading.

So, now the 2 torrents appear to be happily downloading to the same folder, each showing roughly the same progress (18%) and each of them running at about 20KB/s, and now I'm wondering if I've just increased my download rate as a consequence or whether instead I'm likely to corrupt the download somehow. Can anyone explain how this works and what the consequences will be?

Cheers,

Timshel

Pointing two torrents to the same set of files is going to lead to problems. If a torrent is identical µtorrent will pop up a question asking you if you want to add the trackers from the new torrent to the identical already loaded torrent.

If it doesn't ask that question the data in the torrent is NOT 100% identical. It needs to be 100% identical, even if its 99,999% identical its not posible to combine the torrents into a single download. (Demonoid for example adds a simple .txt to prevent just this)

Archived