Port fowarding not working

Edward-sama

Ok I've used portforward.com to set up my ports and everything, I haven't made any mistakes, my firewall is set to not block utorrent, I have no other programs that block utorrent and yet it still says my port, 32458, is still not open and I always have the yellow triangle. So it should be working and its not. So any help would be appreciated.

Well I did the ports for my router but my modem is separate, I didn't know know that I had to do the ports for my modem. But thanks for the help.

I have yet another problem I can't get to my modem's page to configure it, I tried using the default gateway given to my on the instruction page but it didn't work. So I looked up some information on why it didn't work and I was told to find my default gateway using the console which turned out to lead me back to my router and not my modem so I'm not sure what to do.

I too have Sympatico and Speedstream4200.

I recently experienced the same problem you're having - ports not open - no matter what I did to try and correct it.

utorrent had updated not long ago, and I realized the problem started then.

What I did was uninstall utorrent, and reinstall the older version, 1.6. I did not do any port forwarding.

Everything is working perfectly now, so you might want to look at that solution before trying anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having the same problems as mentioned above by Edward-sama ... except that I'm using the Siemens Gigaset SE551 router with same modem Speedstream4200... I didnt understand how/why port forwarding should be done through the MODEM too since its already done through the router...I have done all the necessary for the router including disabling firewalls (which in my case I think is only Windows XP Firewall). I didnt know that I need to do it for the modem as well as mentioned by Edward-sama above... but that doesn't make sense and how do I do it with the modem since I access the internet through the router? How can I access my modem's browser settings if my computer is not directly connected to the modem??

So I keep getting an error for port forwarding and hence get the yellow triangle at the bottom of uTorrent...

other than all this, everytime I put on utorrent.... my internet gets disconnected after some time..even though it indicates as 'connected' and i also lose access to the router browser configurations as well... this happens only when I put 'on' utorrent... why is that?

so ur saying i should follow procedures of port forwarding with computer connected to the modem Speedstream 4200 seperately as well?

Then do what was done earlier with the router?

actually i dont think the modem has a built in router since there is no ports on it for other computers to connect to it... am I right about this?

I guess thats why i have a wireless router for the others to connect to the internet as well... thanks for info..

pls advice!

actually i dont think the modem has a built in router since there is no ports on it for other computers to connect to it... am I right about this?

Not necessarily.

On your wireless router's status page there will be an IP address for the internet side separate from one for the local side.

If that IP address is within the RFC1918 ranges (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x) then the modem is also a router.

i just checked...my wireless router's status page doesnt have IP address (i.e. the 'Internet' IP address and not the Local Network IP address--> i hope thats what you mean :) ) within RFC1918 ranges... so that means the modem isnt a router...right?

so what do I do?

man... its really frustrating! I've been trying to get the port open for quite some time... I've done all the procedures as mentioned by www.portforward.com like atleast a hundred times...but still can't understand whats wrong.. I've read most of everything in the forums.... I've understood that the internet disconnection is probably due to overload... I guess that can be fixed... but the port forwarding thing is still a big hassle!

any suggestion....very welcome!

thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem recently when I updated my router. You need to configure the router which it sounds like you did. But...and this is where I came unstuck - u need to make sure that the IP address u load in your router configuration is your PC's IP address. Select Start/Run/cmd Once that is up type 'ipconfig' and you'll get your IP address. This is the one that you need to configure in your router setup. I had 1 number wrong as I was using the router IP address and not my pc's. That simple solution got me from 30kb downloads to 650kb downloads in one go.

Hope this helps...

Phocques:

I did put my PC's IP address and not the router's, in the router configuration page. But still same problem. Lucky for you, but for me the speed ranges are still like 10-60 kB.. the maximum i've got was around 70-75 kBs. Oh! I would love 650 kB speeds! If only for port forwarding issues or whatever else there could be!

But thanks for the info though...

Archived