µTorrent's compression

splintax

No, it's very fast and efficient compression. The decompression is incredibly fast and would make no difference (supposed to be something in the order of 10s of MBs per second on slow systems). Once in memory, it functions exactly as if it weren't compressed, so it wouldn't affect the speed at all.

thats gota leave a good feeling to you and the other folks to help make this happen. i feel ashamed to say that i only heard about it last night :(

azureus was really murdering my computer, i seed 40+ torrents at a time. yea, i know.. ::gasp::

• 1 month later...

well it might not slow down it much normally, but many antivirus apps take much more time to scan exe if it's compressed :( so yeah, it IS annoying.. while I *do* understand the reasons it is compressed, i still normally unpack it after downloading.. it's just that it gets annoying to do it all the time, with all the updates happening :) so it *would* be nice to have an unpacked version available - perhaps protect it with some crc checks and whatnot..

i dont think utorrent would be that big of a problem (with the whole 'virus scanner scanning packed executables' thing) since you run it once and keep it open for long periods of time (in my case, 24/7 until another update is made on it)

Well I wouldnt be posting here (in fact, I wouldnt be bothered to unpack it in the first place) if it were "negligible", "no problem" or i wouldnt start and quit it all the time. You people have a funny way of answering:

Q: Hey, i've got a problem!

A: No, it's not a problem because it's not a problem!

;)

i wouldnt have any problems seeding it at my 90kb/sec upload speed..

yeah, you could seed a full copy every 1.2 seconds or so :P

do you have any idea on howmany times utorrent was downloaded? (that wouldnt even include the massive peer to peer sharing due to its extremely small file size)

huh? What do you mean about the "massive peer-to-peer sharing"? I saw a leaked beta of µT on a torrent site ages ago, but that wasn't exactly "massive peer-to-peer sharing".

so it *would* be nice to have an unpacked version available - perhaps protect it with some crc checks and whatnot..

that had been what I was suggesting - well, asking if there would be any noticeable benefits and then suggesting it if there were, but in this case, I'm against an unpacked version. (Also, I don't know if this is of interest to ludde, but compression makes it harded to patch µTorrent and should hopefully prevent or at least decrease the number of people who make ratio/client ID etc. patches..) Maybe you should just set your AV not to scan µT?

Umm, Compressed .EXE is NOT what your AV is scanning for. The Compressed files its scanning are ARCHIVES. ZIP? RAR? ACE? rings a bell? Those take long because the AV software has to extract the files then scan them.

uTorrent's exectuble compression is different and does not impair performance at all.

• 2 months later...
well it might not slow down it much normally, but many antivirus apps take much more time to scan exe if it's compressed :( so yeah, it IS annoying.. while I *do* understand the reasons it is compressed, i still normally unpack it after downloading.. it's just that it gets annoying to do it all the time, with all the updates happening :) so it *would* be nice to have an unpacked version available - perhaps protect it with some crc checks and whatnot..

What software do you use to unpack utorrent? The unpackers I've found so far only do V1, and UT uses V2

Archived