Nvidia firewall warning

Cusser

Not sure where to post this, it's neither a bug nor a feature request.

I don't have Nvidia firewall installed and it has never, ever been installed on my system. I do have an Nvidia 680i motherboard and thus motherboard drivers and such, presumably the reason I'm given the Nvidia firewall warning every time I start uTorrent. Regardless of whether the detection is correct or erroneous :-

Please, please disable the warning.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not recall installing it, I'm pretty sure I opted out. I certainly have no options to control it, enable or disable. Either way, I don't really want to reinstall my chipset drivers, especially as I have no memory problems whatsoever.

Can we please have a way to suppress the warning? That or please disable it totally. The FAQ on this page states:

However, the latest version of the NVIDIA Firewall (bundled with the newest nForce drivers) appears to fix this problem. µTorrent still presents the warning dialog, but this will be rectified in the next version.

But a version or two have been and gone.

I understand the premise of opt-out, which is why I'm pretty sure that nVidia Firewall is not on my computer. If it is, then I don't have any options for it whatsoever and there's no evidence of it being here.

Couldn't you just give us a command-line switch to suppress the warning or something? It's getting real old, and like I said, I've never had a problem with memory consumption. Hell, one warning ever would have been sufficient, I don't really need to be told every time :/

The reason you don't see the evidence that it's there is because nVidia buries it.

uTorrent detects specific installed components from the driver package that are exclusive to the firewall section. If uT is detecting them, they ARE there.

If we gave a command line option, we would have people using it and then turn around complaining about the memory usage that the firewall is causing and (wrongfully) blaming us.

• 2 weeks later...
If we gave a command line option, we would have people using it and then turn around complaining about the memory usage that the firewall is causing and (wrongfully) blaming us.

Why would anyone complain about memory usage when they've willingly used a command-line switch to suppress a warning about memory usage? You could name it -suppress-nvidia-memory-warning or something. I've seen sillier.

Look, I understand your argument and reasons for not removing the warning, but it's really frustrating that I see no memory issues whatsoever and yet have to read it every time I open uTorrent.

I won't make vague threats to move to another client because uTorrent is the best and this won't stop me using it. I just really want the warning to go away on my computer, and I don't think uninstalling anything that's loaded onto my PC is a particularly great solution when none of it is actually causing a problem. I'll check back eventually for your reply, but I'm not going to waste anyone's time arguing further.

Keep up the great work.

I won't make vague threats to move to another client because uTorrent is the best and this won't stop me using it.

I approve of your levelheaded-ness :P

That said, I tend to agree that the warning should probably be removed. It's just as easy to list it in the FAQ (which it already is).

Archived