New versions bring dreadful speed

chino

Hey everyone, I don't mind you laughing at me but this year has been a significant year for me in the sense that I started torrent downloading for the very first time and utorrent is my very first client that I use and stick to.

The first version of utorrent was 98kb, very efficient. I download Charmed and the speed went up to 80kbs all the time. But as the newer versions arrived the speed now dropped straight down to 0.8 ~ 5 kbs. What's wrong with it?

I even tried to switch back to the older version but still no luck. Why?

ISP started to traffic-shape the torrent protocol ?

ISP got a lot of new ppl signed for it's service and is now heavily overloaded ?

Just a bad luck with that particular torrent, it may simply not have enough upload BW ?

Anyway, i dont think you can do anything against it, except, may be, switching to another torrent with similar content, that have more upload BW. Or switch the ISP if it happens on each and every torrent for you.

I rarely comment in forums but here I have to comment.

I have used torrent engines almost since their inception, and have tried every single one. I found utorrent was a bit clunky about three version ago but presto, an auto apdate and since then, its been the fastest and most stable AND smallest footprint engine anywhere. AND its LOADED with more features than a swiss army knife.

I was 256/64 and constantly sitting on 26k down. Now Im 1500/256 and my download sites between 130-155. The speed depends on the torrent your leaching and your upodad speed. If you have any doubts, get a copy of bit tornado (2nd fastest in my opinion) and test it. Also note the huge features in that engine ;-)

Seriously, If Im in doubt, thats my benchmark!

Also, you must have your MTU etc tuned properly to get the most out of your broadband!

B

You can't always get full speed, usually the problem lies with the user, not the client...

I bet that some firewalls cause problems when the client gets updated because it's no longer the same exe they were allowing before. :P

And if he switched to older versions which worked before but he still had the SAME problems, it cannot possibly be a fault with µTorrent.

Most torrents just aren't that fast. A lot of people don't get this.

I rarely comment in forums but here I have to comment.

I have used torrent engines almost since their inception, and have tried every single one. I found utorrent was a bit clunky about three version ago but presto, an auto apdate and since then, its been the fastest and most stable AND smallest footprint engine anywhere. AND its LOADED with more features than a swiss army knife.

I was 256/64 and constantly sitting on 26k down. Now Im 1500/256 and my download sites between 130-155. The speed depends on the torrent your leaching and your upodad speed. If you have any doubts, get a copy of bit tornado (2nd fastest in my opinion) and test it. Also note the huge features in that engine ;-)

Seriously, If Im in doubt, thats my benchmark!

Also, you must have your MTU etc tuned properly to get the most out of your broadband!

B

Now there's a testament to µT.

Archived