ISP given Dynamic IP causing problems?

ghastlytt

Hello all. I'm having some issues with uTorrent giving me the red light when I try to download something. I have the following setup:

Softbank Telecom ISP - Gives me a dynamic IP on their network. From what I understand, because it's not static/global, I can't receive incoming connections.

Zhone/Paradyne 6211-I3 ADSL2+ Modem/Router

Linksys WRT54GSv4 Wireless Router - Upgraded to latest DD-WRT v23sp2 firmware and corrected the connections as advised by this forum

2 Computers - 1 using XPsp2 Firewall, 1 using CA Security center - Both static IPs on my home network

This is what I have done so far:

Unblocked uTorrent on both computers Firewalls, Granted uTorrent access to all UDP/TCP ports on my CA System firewall until I can figure this out

Flashed router with firmware. Set up port forwarding for the port currently used by uTorrent. Took note of the dhcp ip address assigned by my ISP to my router and made the router static using that information. Still have full access to the internet, but my normal 3 day lease will not expire and my router will not renew its ip.

connected to my modem ip and configured nat port forwarding as well as assigned my routers static IP to DMZ.

From this setup, I would think that uTorrents required port is now open in my chain.

Still getting the red light and poor download speeds. Upload is fine, utilizing all of my available bandwith, but Download sticks around 10-15 kbps (my connection is 200kbps).

Please let me know what I can do to increase my download speeds. Thanks.

Yes... I have tried setting upload and download to auto. Same results. I have tried setting download to 100kbps, upload to 15/20/30/40/50, and still same results. I have completely uninstalled my firewall, same results. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling utorrent, still same results. This happens with all torrents, including ones with very large swarms. In short of switching to another ISP (Which I can't as I'm on a military installation in Japan), I don't know what else to do.

Hi, You have the Dreaded 2 router Syndrome, Usually I would give a link to a Guide that turn's the 2nd Router into a Switch/Hub/WAP but since you are on a military base you Probally do Not have Permission or access to do so??

If you have access and Permission here is the Guide:

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1133918703

your Other Alternative is would to Put the First Modem/Router into Bridged Mode!!

So hows the Weather in Japan!!

Archived